Timing.

Story: Carla on Computer America Radio Show tonightTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
smallboxadmin

Mar 24, 2011
5:11 PM EDT
OK, so I post in the forums at 3:40PM EST and the story goes on at 3:49PM EST. Coincidence? I think not. :)
tuxchick

Mar 24, 2011
5:34 PM EDT
Nope, not coincidental at all :)
hkwint

Mar 24, 2011
7:14 PM EDT
You see? That's why Carla is our favourite editor!
tuxchick

Mar 24, 2011
10:29 PM EDT
You mean your favorite shamelessly self-promoting editor :)
tracyanne

Mar 24, 2011
11:34 PM EDT
Sorry Carla, I'm doing my best to like the show, but it seems so far to be nothing more than mindless banter followed by way too many advertisements.
Jose_X

Mar 25, 2011
9:44 AM EDT
Carla, do you have a website (under your control) for the book and/or your other books?

If you don't or if you haven't...

You can add a tip jar and free download for parts (or whole) of some (or all) of the books. On the website, you can invite readers to participate in numerous ways, for example, have readers contribute audacity creations or related software scripts or film clips that used audacity and/or other FOSS tools (fosstools.com is available). You can write stories of your adventures with the camera or mic or anything else. The idea would be to keep a community of interest around each book and allow people to gain access to the primary material for free (and to share without guilt).

Then (besides the tip jar) you might raise the price of the tree version (assuming you have control over this matter) and offer other unique items, for example, an autographed and special section nicely bound higher end book; funny shirts with designs and a bit of $ going to contributors of designs; ....

The more people read parts of the book (think bookstore reading), the more likely someone willing to buy the book will get a hold of it (perhaps through a friend). People may read for free, but they like taking decent things they come upon and buying gifts for others. And the more interesting the environment surrounding that book, the more potential gifts and the higher their value.

Think: $0 digital downloads/ $$ scarce resources.

I know it's scary. You might want to talk to Nina Paley if you haven't since she reported $140K in earnings in partnerships or other for Sita Sings the Blues which she offers for $0 download with CC-by-sa license. Other people with a lot of success have also given away digital versions for $0.. *even while* providing an Amazon digital download for $$. [techdirt.com is a good site to follow.]

Perhaps consider starting slow and brainstorming. It would actually be great to get FOSS devs to work on website platform to easily support these sort of business models.

In sum, getting more widespread awareness will lead to contract offers and an ability to sell that and other scarce resources [eg, to teach audacity to employees or give a presentation; write up a technical manual unrelated to your books but in order to leverage your skills exhibited in those works; etc.]

BTW, the motivation for this comment was the interview and also things I remembered you posted on LT related to digital downloads.
hkwint

Mar 25, 2011
10:27 AM EDT
Uhm, yeah, before meeting you on this forum I didn't now what "shameless self plug" meant. I have to admit the few radio shows which featured Linux I didn't like that much, probably a bit like TA, so sadly I shall let this opportunity pass.
tuxchick

Mar 25, 2011
10:42 AM EDT
My dear Hans and TA, the point is talking about Linux and FOSS on a mainstream program with a lot of listeners, and letting Linux leak out of our cozy little clubhouse. No, you don't have to listen, I don't care. What I care about is reaching a wider audience. They're not coming here so I'm looking for more ways of going out there.
smallboxadmin

Mar 25, 2011
11:58 AM EDT
Most (All?) on air/streaming computer shows are for non-technical or enthusiasts, not hard-core tech types. Computer America has Larry Bushy, the host of Going Linux, on once a month and it is used to expose others to Linux and for Linux newbies.

I enjoyed last nights show, whose purpose was IMHO to:

a) expose users who may not know Audacity to Audacity, and...

b) promote Carla's book, so it will sell more, so she can write more books, so newbies will know more, [add infinite loop here]

tuxchick

Mar 25, 2011
1:03 PM EDT
Jose_X, your answer here http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/149526/

See what you inspired. It's nice to see you here :)
hkwint

Mar 25, 2011
2:26 PM EDT
Yeah, it's a good thing getting it in the 'mainstream press'. And it's interesting to hear lots of people listen to those shows (probably more than read LXer I guess?).
tracyanne

Mar 25, 2011
6:12 PM EDT
Quoting:the point is talking about Linux and FOSS on a mainstream program with a lot of listeners,

Carla I agree with the objective, I do exactly that on a social website.

Unfortunately I must have missed the bit where you mentioned Linux or FOSS... I did hear the word free mentioned several times though, and I'm sure that would have piqued some interest in the Windows version of Audacity.... so I must have had the volume turned down for the advertisements, which take up more airtime than the actual show, and turned it back up again too late to hear you discuss Linux and FOSS.
skelband

Mar 25, 2011
8:30 PM EDT
I haven't listened yet, but I will later.

One of the problems you will encounter when using the word "free" to the public is that most will assume you mean "free" as in beer. For a lot of people that equates to "cheap" or sub-standard.

I would suggest that Open is a better term (for free as in freedom) although the purists may decry that it does not necessarily mean the same thing.

As for the shameless self-publicity, as a native self-effacing Brit, I find self publicity to be a tasteless thing but in doing so I would be a hypocrite. Any independent professional such as tuxchick has to do a certain amount of this to get anywhere in the world and I don't think any less of her for it. It can be taken to extremes and I have had direct experience of that over here in Canada where they are "less backward in coming forward" (as they say in Yorkshire) in this respect.

Good luck to you I say and good luck on the book.
Jose_X

Mar 26, 2011
10:19 AM EDT
tracyanne>> Unfortunately I must have missed the bit where you mentioned Linux or FOSS

The hosts snuck in Linux, FOSS, and related words. Unfortunately, one of them tried to neutralize the good deed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!