Just make it something other than PayPal.

Story: The Freeloading Digital EconomyTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
cr

Mar 25, 2011
1:14 PM EDT
The nasty tales of that bank except when it doesn't suit them are all over the Net; anybody who doesn't know that they're corrupt hasn't been listening. Plug in some honest micropayment method and I'll contribute what I can.
jdixon

Mar 25, 2011
1:50 PM EDT
> I think digital media should be worth more--

Non DRM encumbered digital media, yes. However, it's my understanding that 90% of the cost of traditional media is the cost of production and distribution. So you can cut the effective prices of digital media by 75-80% and still double the amount going to the producer. You'll notice that's largely not been happening.

> It's always been difficult to make a living in the creative arts.

Yep. The (now considered old fashioned) notion that an artist must suffer for their art is there for a reason.

> ...and remember that nothing says "I love your work and want you to create more" like cash money.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, that's in chronic short supply. :( Also unfortunately that's a self perpetuating cycle. Rich folks don't mind running Windows, upgrading their hardware to the latest and greatest every two years, and paying exorbitant fees for relatively ineffective virus and spyware protection. Us relatively poorer folks are often driven to use Linux by simple economics, but we can't really afford to support the system in the same way.

I don't have any really good solutions, I just know that the Sony/Disney/RIAA/MPAA way isn't it.
jdixon

Mar 25, 2011
1:52 PM EDT
> Plug in some honest micropayment method...

Paypal's excesses are well known, yes. What alternatives would you recommend?
klhrevolution

Mar 25, 2011
2:18 PM EDT
I could mention many.. but probably the most easiest would be gpal: https://www.gpal.net/ or even https://loom.cc/ but I dont see why not utilizing paypal, google payment, flattr, gpal, money order, check and what ever else. A dedicated page on lxer allowing the person to choose which payment method they prefer so long as lxer and other similar sites can keep up with it all.
jdixon

Mar 25, 2011
2:31 PM EDT
> google payment, flattr, gpal,

Google checkout is a definite option, yes. But I'm not sure that those who don't trust Paypal will be any happier trusting Google. :( I don't know anything about flattr. I know gpal was created to overcome some specific problems with paypal, but I understand they had some major problems not too long ago. Have they managed to put those behind them? It would be nice to see another major vendor or credit card provider get into the business to offer some competition. Maybe Amazon or Discover.
tmx

Mar 25, 2011
11:01 PM EDT
Made a Google account to purchase an item through Google Checkout because the seller only uses it. Google suspended my order and Checkout account and required that I scan and send to them personal things such as driver license and bank statement to verify before I can purchase. Can't logged into Checkout to do anything.

I emailed them and say no and can they remove my data (address and credit card info). Google says no and they will keep it for law enforcing purposes.
jdixon

Mar 25, 2011
11:37 PM EDT
> Google says no and they will keep it for law enforcing purposes.

To be fair, those self same law enforcement folks probably require that they do so.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!