Why do i need a cell phone?

Story: Microsoft sues Nook partners over Android-based UITotal Replies: 3
Author Content
joeoshawa

Mar 26, 2011
11:01 PM EDT
I recently asked on irc what would be involved in replaceing the os in a touch mp3 with linux in an effort to create a linux pda that i could then try to figure out how to sync with evolution email and calender on my desktop. I basically got told to buy an android phone and sync with google.

First off whats wrong with a guy wanting to connect his device to his computer and sync his planner, email, music, etc. without a third party being involved. I realise that my email is already on a third party server but that means i should just splatter my email on any server just for the convenience?

I also got told i need a cell phone. I needed a cell for work purposes before and i hate them. If i want to be contacted i will be at home and as for the just turn it off comments that defeats the purpose i wanted the pda for hence wanting them separate if i was to have a cell phone.

For me having a device that allerts me that i have an upcoming appointment or anything i need that i can use in areas that say PLEASE TURN OFF ALL CELLPHONES WHILE IN THE BLAH BLAH BLAH. is essential as i do this tunnelvision thing where when i see something that attracts my attention i focus on it and everything dissapears.

I want a device that will sync with my linux desktop directly at the computer that works as a touchscreen pda with a clock and music/video player. Internet would be great but not essential but a phone attached is an absolute no for me.

Have i found something in linux that is not possible?
joeoshawa

Mar 26, 2011
11:06 PM EDT
oops on the microsoft sues nook deal new to this site and that was a thread i had been reading.
nalf38

Mar 27, 2011
6:34 AM EDT
joe-

There's nothing wrong with wanting a device that syncs directly with your computer, but you may need to go 'old school.' I have a Palm Zire that will sync with Linux just fine and will play music (all types---mp3, flac, ogg and more) but does not have wifi. I would still be using it if it were not for my new Android phone, which I understand you do not want.

What's your bigger issue---owning a cell phone or using Google Mail/Calendar/etc. as an intermediary to sync your data? If the cell phone is the major issue, buy an Android phone and put it in Airplane Mode. It essentially disables the phone functionality, but you should (caveat---I haven't tried it) be able to manually turn on Wifi, so you'd basically have a nice PDA with internet capability. Note: you wouldn't even have to purchase a service plan from a cell carrier. If you purchase a Virgin Mobile phone, you don't even have to activate it and there are no contracts; you're paying for just the phone. You'd have no cell number, but would still be able to use everything else, including wifi, essentially turning your phone into a very nice PDA.
jdixon

Mar 27, 2011
9:35 AM EDT
> You'd have no cell number, but would still be able to use everything else, including wifi, essentially turning your phone into a very nice PDA.

And, in the US at least, the phone can still be used for making emergency (911 type) calls. It sounds like what he would really like is a Nokia 900, but I'm not sure he wants to support Nokia at this time.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!