C'est trop tot pour des conclusions?

Story: Firefox 4 marketshare overtakes IE9 in EUTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
theBeez

Apr 02, 2011
4:01 AM EDT
Moi, je ne suis pas convaincu. Les deux browsers sont introduit pas tres longtemps. Les donnees montrent des percentages pas tres hautes. Alors, je ne suis pas sure, qu'ils va etre le meme dans quelques mois. C'est trop tot pour des conclusions.
hkwint

Apr 02, 2011
8:25 AM EDT
Nonetheless, it's remarkable to say the least.

Microsoft can point _any_ Windows 7 user at the new available browser using system update or whatever mechanism. But maybe they didn't do so as of yet, probably they're not pushing IE9 yet because they want to test it among a smaller user group.

For FF4, they have the advantage their webbrowser also supports WinXP / Linux (and Android), but at the same time, it occurs to me those who are using FF4 now, do so because they want to use it, and not because somebody is pushing them.

BTW understanding French when all accents / circumflexes are missing is hard and confusing... No deadkeys I assume? Or just being lazy, like myself most of the times...
hkwint

Apr 02, 2011
8:31 AM EDT
Like me being lazy and assuming it would take another month before releasing English version of the story without checking...
theBeez

Apr 02, 2011
12:10 PM EDT
Bien sure j'ai des clefs mortes. Ils ne marchent plus depuis longtemps. Mais j'ai toujours pas eu des occasions de montrer ils functionnent comme il faut. Merde, alors!
Ridcully

Apr 02, 2011
6:14 PM EDT
Hi Beez and Hkwint.......Beez, it was fun to dust off my schoolboy French (I didn't care if you didn't put the right accents and circumflex in their proper places) and I actually understood what you said. I agree, it's very early days so that a few more months may see a different picture, and of course, it could be the "test scenario in a smaller group".

But (as Hkwint has also sorta implied), there is one aspect to this story that made me sit up and take notice. This is the statement that nearly 46% of European Win-users (pauvres enfants....dit cynicalement ?) still use WinXP and that Redmond has produced a situation such that they cannot run IE9. Deliberate or not, that smells of blackmail: "You don't spend money and upgrade to Win7, you cannot run our new toy." Any of those WinXP users have an instant (and to my mind, much better) solution in the shape of FFox4.....I think someone back in Redmond Castle may have been barking up a gum tree when that decision was made. I don't know about either of you, but I'd guess you'd be similar to me in that I don't react very kindly to blackmail. I suspect WinXP users would mostly react the same.
hkwint

Apr 03, 2011
9:15 AM EDT
You can fix deadkeys pretty easily using the archaic antique 'xkeycaps' in combination with xmodmap. It's what I do. Now I can type stuff like eurosign € (using AltGr + 5), tôt, mème and I can make a "ç", even a "č" using shift-comma it seems. Making several xmodmaps and assigning shortcut keys to them is one of the reasons why Linux is easier / better than Windows! Because Windows severely sucks changing your keyboard layout, you can't change the layout for all applications at once, meaning you have to change them for all running applications individually. And if you close / restart your application, it's in 'qwerty' again. A real PITA if you want to use Dvorak for everything yourself, but want to reset everything when you have a question and a "qwerty-"colleague is showing how to do something using your computer.

Ridcully: Oh, you don't want to know how lazy I was, I posted the article without even reading all of it! So I hadn't come across the remark about the market share of WinXP, but I'm not surprised at all. I think Mozilla would do well to focus at WinXP readers and make some add like "all the functionality of IE9, but available for WinXP, now in FF4!"

Of course, we'll be following the surveys. Xitimonitor used to have monthly surveys - delayed by one month usually - but not anymore.
hkwint

Apr 03, 2011
9:18 AM EDT
Beez: Hey, maybe it's a nice idea for me to write a short article about fixing deadkeys!
jdixon

Apr 03, 2011
12:37 PM EDT
> A real PITA if you want to use Dvorak for everything yourself, but want to reset everything when you have a question and a "qwerty-"colleague is showing how to do something using your computer.

Tell me about it. My wife useds Dvorak. I use qwerty, since that's what I have to use at work. Switching back and forth in Windows is a royal pain.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!