What are you really losing?

Story: Canonical takes another step against the CommunityTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
dthacker

Apr 24, 2011
10:21 AM EDT
Disclaimer: I never followed this mailing list, I tend to stick to the technical lists. It seems that a few folks are upset about not having a place to rant about Canonical, Aren't there several thousand other places those rants can be posted? As an Ubuntu user and minor contributor, I'd have to say this is a non-event.

Dave

TxtEdMacs

Apr 24, 2011
12:13 PM EDT
Up until last Friday I have been using Ubuntu exclusively, since about 2006. My first use was with 5.10 that was not totally satisfactory, but certainly better than the version of Mandrake I dropped from the laptop I was using at that time. I tended to stick with the LTS versions, but I did not use 10.04 due to the trends I saw. More recently I have been quite satisfied with 9.10, however, with its end of life and the certainty I was going to neither 10.10 nor 11.04 I installed Mint 10.

I appreciated the work of the Ubuntu developer team and I wish Ubuntu [and Canonical] have great success in drawing new users. That grows Linux. I and others like me should have the experience to move to other distributions without rancor. I viewed my use as a generous gift. I only hope I can give back, in some manner, in the future.

Txt.
tuxchick

Apr 24, 2011
12:46 PM EDT
Don't let facts get in the way of a good kvetch...

The Ubuntu Community council voted to close the Sounder list, not Canonical. The public Sounder list archives are here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/sounder/. The purpose of the list is supposedly "discussion of subjects of general interest related to the Ubuntu project, Linux, Open Source or software in general." It's like a lot of public lists, a little on topic, a lot of complaining about anything and everything. It's hardly an attack on The Community to close this list. (sacred music playing softly every time The Community is mentioned)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!