We have choices now?

Story: Canonical takes another step against the CommunityTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2011
11:47 AM EDT
NOW we have choices? We NOW have choices? We have NOW choices?

Hello!! Earth to space cadet...

You always had choices, many of them very, very good. Whether it was some variation or Red Hat, SuSe, PCLinuxOS, Mint, Debian, what have you.

Ubuntu has been the most popular choice for the last few years, but it's only ever been -- a choice.

Boo Hoo, Ubuntu crew.

You are shocked and amazed that a corporation needs to make money? That, in order to make money, it might have to (or believe it has to, which is more or less the same thing) do things you don't like?

Good Lord! How can anybody take you people seriously?
lcafiero

Apr 24, 2011
11:53 AM EDT
Very funny, dinotrac.

I like this comment -- the second or third one down -- "Canonical is a company that needs to make money. If making money means doing what the community does not like, deal with it."

Yeah, dude: Deal with it -- like move on to another distro.
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2011
12:07 PM EDT
Three ways to deal with it.

1. Decide you can live with it -- a thoroughly honorable approach. 2. Move on to something else -- also a thoroughly honorable approach. 3. Kvetch like a drunken church lady over scandalous gossip. Not quite so honorable.
TxtEdMacs

Apr 24, 2011
12:25 PM EDT
Hey dino,

Quoting: [or] 3. Kvetch like a drunken church lady over scandalous gossip. [...]

Is that why you were barred from the bar? Using mixed metaphors, when you can't keep your venues straight? So too will the good Baptist contingent be offended, with drunk church ladies! Oh, the language ... (they may do it, but they would never say it that way).

As always,

YBT
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2011
12:58 PM EDT
There is no metaphor so perfect that it cannot stand a little mixing.
tuxchick

Apr 24, 2011
12:59 PM EDT
True dino, a little Kahlua, a dash of bitters makes the metaphor go down.
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2011
1:00 PM EDT
Mmmmmm....

Cold metaphor and one of those little paper umbrellas...
gus3

Apr 24, 2011
3:01 PM EDT
I'll provide the bitters...
jdixon

Apr 24, 2011
9:02 PM EDT
> There is no metaphor so perfect that it cannot stand a little mixing.

As long as it's shaken and not stirred. :)
ComputerBob

Apr 24, 2011
11:05 PM EDT
Quoting:There is no metaphor so perfect that it cannot stand a little mixing.
That's what metas are phor.
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2011
11:34 PM EDT
@CB --

And, on a touchy-feely note,

I never met a phor I didn't like.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 25, 2011
12:52 PM EDT
I've been back to the article on which this thread is based three times now, and I still have very little idea about exactly what's going on here:

Quoting:In a posting to the Sounder mailing list earlier today, Ubuntu Linux maker Canonical announced that the long running mailing list would be shuttered. The decision followed a recent heated political discussion on the list and a proposal to close the list the Community Council by Alan Pope.

I never heard of this list before.

And from the comments:

Quoting:FYI, Alan is not Canonical, the Community Council is not Canonical. The CC voted to shut the sounder down. When I was on the CC 2 years ago for the first issue, we almost shut it down then. So the community council chose to shut this down, not Canonical.

Here's a post that adds something (but doesn't explain anything about this specific mailing list:

http://www.nixternal.com/canonical-shut-down-sounder/

It looks like those on the list have moved it to Google:

Quoting:As a former member of Sounder you are spot on. The closing of Sounder was a political decision by the Community and Canonical. We're relocated to http://groups.google.com/group/bikeshed where we are still having meaningful discussions about Linux, open source, and the direction Ubuntu is going.

I haven't been over to Planet Ubuntu in a while. Maybe that will enlighten me regarding this matter.

My assumption is that Sounder is/was a list on which Ubuntu users voiced their displeasure with the distribution and company behind it.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 25, 2011
3:02 PM EDT
I've been looking at the list archives:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/sounder/

And to be honest, it doesn't look all that bad.
flufferbeer

Apr 27, 2011
11:56 PM EDT
@dinotrac and lcafiero

Darned tootin', you're both right!

1. If you can't get a grip on Canonical's forsaking its community base or you refuse to drink its Unity Kool-Aid, then JUST DON'T USE IT!! Better then that you go with something else, dude, like another Ubuntu-based distro, e.g., Mint.

2. What are you saying now, dude??!!! Mint's support community isn't that good, the latest version doesn't support your own piece of hardware, or something else that makes you "Kvetch like a drunken church lady over scandalous gossip"?? Dude, better then that you move on to something else, maybe like Fedora or OpenSUSE.

3. Oh no, NOW what's the problem?? Fedora and OpenSUSE are too beholden to their parent overseers -- Red Hat and Novell respectively -- for your or your companies' tastes?? More support issues or some other big problem?? Here we go again dude.....Better then that you move on to yet something else more highly customizable, maybe like Debian, Arch, or Slackware.

4. You're STILL discontent?? What the h* is the problem THIS time? You're saying that Debian/Arch/Slackware are just too overly complex for you and you're STILL having problems getting support and straight answers from the respective distro communities? Wait! You know it's coming along dude....Better then that you move on to yet something else, maybe like Puppy Linux, Mandriva, or Gentoo.

5. Goodness gracious...My oh my! Now you've gone ahead and found OTHER things to complain about with THESE distros, e.g., an unavailable application, or the lack of driver support for a particular piece of hardware??? Where will this distro-hopping way far away from Ubuntu ever stop?? Another Distro-of-the-Day and then YET ANOTHER Distro-of-the-Day and then YET ANOTHER Distro-of-the-Day...... ad infinitum?

Ouch!!!

jmo2c. -fb
dinotrac

Apr 28, 2011
2:06 AM EDT
@fluffer:

I think, therefore I kvetch.
flufferbeer

Apr 28, 2011
8:52 PM EDT
@dinotrac, Standard "vetch" with Unity was just released this week and kvetch with KDE will soon be released in the future. Also, we can expect the upcoming vetch offshoots xvetch and lvetch having XFCE and LXDE respectively. LOL

(actually, there IS something called "vetch"; it's a plant with an extensive nodal root-system that is known for fixating Nitrogen in soil!)

-fb
dinotrac

Apr 28, 2011
9:35 PM EDT
@flufferbeer --

I knew that!

Maybe.
tuxchick

Apr 28, 2011
11:01 PM EDT
Kvetch! Named in honor of unhappy KDE3 users!
dinotrac

Apr 29, 2011
8:28 AM EDT
@tc --

>unhappy KDE3 users

Your comment has made me realize something, and caused me suddenly to have enormous respect for the KDE team and the KDE4 developers in particular.

They have accomplished something so grand it can fairly be described as being of biblical in proportion.

Out of nothing (or nearly nothing: there may have been some unhappy KDE3 users), they have created a worldwide population.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!