Growing on me too

Story: Ubuntu 11.04: Is Natty Narwhal the best Linux desktop ever?Total Replies: 0
Author Content
montezuma

May 06, 2011
8:55 AM EDT
I wasn't that impressed with Unity to begin with. It's lack of configurability and clumsiness bothered me. For example switching apps and adding launchers to the panel and the lack of useful applets for the panel were downsides. Also the compiz desktop effects was overkill to me and caused power consumption to go up.

However I have been using the unity-2d interface lately and the release (as opposed to beta) version isn't too bad. I am now able to easily add apps to the panel. It hides itself nicely when not in use. Firefox and Thunderbird integrate nicely and Vaughan-Nichols is right that the search function works very well in finding relevant apps. The 2d interface is good powerwise and just as slick as the usual 3d version imo.

I still don't like the lack of configurability and also the lack of useful applets but hopefully these things will improve as development proceeds.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!