Always Underrated

Story: SimplyMEPIS 11.0 Screenshot TourTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
klhrevolution

May 07, 2011
4:11 PM EDT
Mepis had it's thunder stolen by the likes of ubuntu and now mint.. Nothing against those distro's but I do recall when mepis was all the rage so-to-speak. Anyway's I find that it is the most user friendly towards those of the old windows days, those who have not tried anything since 2000 & XP that is.

The problem that always comes up is incompatible hardware... Not sure if gcloud printing will help solve this & whether or not we should have to go through the likes of google. Are there any cloud printing solutions besides goog?
herzeleid

May 08, 2011
12:00 AM EDT
I just have a thing about not using distros with random nonsensical names.
TxtEdMacs

May 08, 2011
6:32 AM EDT
herz,

Ok, name one. PuppyLinux, for tight fitting spaces? I have used at various times: Mandrake [when it was just a clone of Red Hat], Red Hat, Mandrake [when they began to develop a more independent version], Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu and now Mint. Using your criteria, none of those name suffice.

I also knew of SuSE [or SUSE now], but that too should not be allowed where sense holds sway.

Puzzled,

YBT

P.S. Oh, it's the random naming that makes some of these acceptable. Got it, thanks.
herzeleid

May 08, 2011
5:17 PM EDT
But SuSE is fine, not random at all, it's the initials for "systems and software development" (software und system entwicklung) - though an american would probably be reminded of siouxsie and the banshees. Puppy is a cute word, has meaning anyone can relate to. Mandrake is a type of bird, and so on. But popular adoption of something with a name which is merely a silly permutation of random words (simply mepis, undeniably nganga, undoubtedly kikiki, etc) would signal the triumph of dadism over reason. The distro would have to be unbelievably awesome to overcome the annoyance factor.

gus3

May 08, 2011
5:45 PM EDT
You mean there's a real, relevant place to use the word "dadaism"?
jdixon

May 08, 2011
6:26 PM EDT
> Mandrake is a type of bird

Mandrake is a type of plant, not a type of bird.
BernardSwiss

May 08, 2011
6:34 PM EDT
[ pedant ]

I just did some checking, and "Mepis" turns out to be an accidental/deliberate misspelling of "Memphis" -- which is about what I had expected, in light of the Mepis logo.

A "Mandrake" is not a bird, but a plant, famous in folklore and occult/magical lore.

More pertinantly, it is also a famous comicbook character, Mandrake the Magician, arguably the first comicbook superhero. Which is why Mandrake had to change its name (to Mandriva), in face of rather silly legal action from Hearst, the Comic copyright holder (the tophat & wand logo, etc, didn't help).

[ /pedant ]
hkwint

May 09, 2011
5:21 AM EDT
Quoting:You mean there's a real, relevant place to use the word "dadaism"?

Sure, it's called "school". Especially during the subject literature-history.

[ pedant ]

However, 'dadism' as spelled by herzeleid above was no topic on the school I have been; in contrary to 'momism' (Oedipus complex).

[ /pedant ]

Oh darn, I'm too awake today, noticing such spelling errors. Anyway, SuSE (because of the strange capitals) reminds more of dadaism than MEPIS in my opinion, though IIRC they changed it now.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!