ChromOS?

Story: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Linux World Domination Total Replies: 6
Author Content

May 23, 2011
12:56 PM EDT
another project to take into account is ChromeOS. Treating the web browser as the desktop could benefit those that basically use their computer as a web terminal to reach services like facebook and webmail.
kingttx

May 23, 2011
6:14 PM EDT
They tried that ploy with netbooks and nettops, and it really didn't get anywhere after the initial excitement died down. After the users started understanding they could do little else than some lightweight word processing and browsing, they pushed back. Later netbooks and nettops were markitechtured right out of the original price range and back up into normal notebook prices.

Users want to pay <$300 and get >$300 performance. If they get shoehorned into ChromeOS and are unable to stretch out, so to speak, they'll push back again.
Steven_Rosenber

May 23, 2011
6:22 PM EDT
I don't think ChromeOS and the associated hardware has been around long enough to draw any conclusions.
helios

May 25, 2011
10:12 AM EDT
Besides, I collaborate often with over a dozen people at a time via google docs, and it has it's weaknesses. If you want to view or edit a multi-column spreadsheet, you're out of luck. Google docs does not support them in every format. We simply post it to a third-party file site and keep up with the changes via emails.

Sure it's a PITA but it's a work-around. Until Google solves such a seemingly small problem, their ChromeOS isn't going to get much footing in the Enterprise.
Steven_Rosenber

May 26, 2011
2:34 PM EDT
"multi-column" spreadsheet? Do you mean multi-sheet? A spreadsheet with only one column would be a pretty sorry spreadsheet.
Ridcully

May 26, 2011
6:09 PM EDT
SJVN has just published a full set of specifications:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/here-come-the-chromebo...

Now, given those specs, and apart from the storage space of 16Gig, they are better than those of a small laptop I keep as a backup OS which runs openSUSE 11.1 and KDE3.5 quite happily. I commented on this topic to a friend of mine this morning along these lines:

If these Chromebooks allow you to set up a dual boot (and I'll bet the hackers will be onto it fast), you literally COULD install a tight OS plus some useful stuff on that drive and then plug in an external drive of some sort for extra storage......... I'd want a dvd player installed plus a couple of other odds and ends, but Xfce would shine as the window manager (or similar). So, looking at those characteristics, I think the Chromebook actually might have possibilities if you can set it up to dual boot. But like Steven_Rosenber notes, we need time to look at these things - but I remain very interested indeed.

helios

May 26, 2011
11:39 PM EDT
Duh,,,yeah, Steve, that's what I meant. My fingers need a seeing eye keyboard.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!