Yet another diatribe

Story: The Increasingly Irrelevant Desktop OSTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
djohnston

May 26, 2011
10:47 PM EDT
on the extolled virtues of the mythical cloud. The "cloud" is where the angels play in the computer ether. The angels shepherd your applications.

Quoting:You don’t need an operating system anymore. You need applications. Think application virtualization. .... I don’t really care that my iPad runs iOS 4.x because I don’t interact with the operating system. I tap an app when I need to do something. I don’t use the operating system for anything.

Uh-huh. What makes the tap launch the app?

Quoting:I just don’t care what the operating system is on the local device. It could be Android, Chrome, some mobile version of Windows, OS2, Xenix or even SCO UNIX.

Well, that's where we part company. I do care what OS is on my "local device". I don't want to be an unwilling host to another botnet node. I want to control what is running on my device.

The article is mostly about being able to support systems remotely. Ken wants to do it from his iPhone? Okay, to each his own. But, not all computer users are administrators. Typical users tend to accumulate personal data, which isn't even mentioned. That's because one's personal data, in the "cloud" scenario, belongs to the cloud. No, not the mythical computer ether angels that shepherd your applications. Your data is stored on a faceless corporation's rackspace fileserver. You want your data? Pay up, buddy. What's that, you say? You want protection for your data? Security is so old-school. No one worries about security in the "cloud". Trust us, we've got your back. And if said "cloud" provider has an outage, and you can't access your data, well you should have planned for contingencies by keeping backups with another "cloud" provider!

As for this ubiquitous, non-distinct and non-interactive desktop OS? Well, it's embedded on a chip in the hardware. See? Instant-on! You're browsing the "cloud" in no time at all! Trust us. We've got your backdoor ... er, I mean back.

BFM

May 27, 2011
12:48 AM EDT
I manage a small network of Linux scientific and technical workstations and servers that do some pretty heavy duty computing. We have no intention of using the cloud to do this work. It is too slow and not designed for the type of work we do. So we will continue to work with high-powered workstations that are not in the cloud. We will get some of our data from the cloud but will continue to work that and other data locally because our approach is more powerful and secure. The media is so hung up on everybody doing their work in the same way that they don't understand that some of us do not work the same way as their mythical everybody.
r_a_trip

May 27, 2011
4:01 AM EDT
Well, as insidious as the whole cloud hype is, you must admit that it is brilliant marketing. The term Cloud alone is sheer genius. It's that fuzzy, incomprehensible thing that just makes stuff happen.

They could never pull off the amount of bamboozling if they named the beast by its true name; client/server architecture. That would alert people that there are two sides to the thing.

No, the cloud is a peaceful, fuzzy thing, slowly drifting with you wherever you go. While you go off gallivanting in the Cloudscape, the service providers go off monitoring your every move and selling that information to the highest bidding marketeer. But let's not make too much of that. It is but a small price to pay for the abdication of your own responsibilities and you get "trouble free" computing in return.

I wonder how they will like the icy cold waters, after these lemmings have jumped off this particular cliff.
tmx

May 28, 2011
2:25 AM EDT
I've already made it a promise to myself to not read ZDNet diatribes, which no offence but are posted frequently at linuxtoday. I prefer reading articles by Bruce Byfield or Glyn Moody for more respectable speculations.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!