Intersting talk about desktops

Story: Heart of Linux - part 2 Total Replies: 7
Author Content
tracyanne

May 30, 2011
10:04 PM EDT
But I don't like remembering special keys. Which is why I set up my desktop to allow me to do all my desktop navigation with a mouse. If I can't do it with a mouse then it can't be done.
BernardSwiss

May 31, 2011
3:48 AM EDT
I personally like menus that tell you what the special keys are, while you're using the mouse. You can learn them one at a time, as you get down to work, in whatever order and timing suites your actual needs. (if that's too inelegant, a cheat-sheet linked under the Help menu would work, too)

Of course, many people not only never stop to wonder just what those funny letter-sequences (like Ctrl+T, Ctrl+S, Ctrl+X/C/V, Ctrl+P, Ctrl+D, F1) on the menu might mean -- but if you point it out, half of them will promptly forget, wondering only why you bothered them with such geeky tips in the first place...

tracyanne

May 31, 2011
4:22 AM EDT
The thing that upsets me is that neither the desktop as described by the author of the article, nor the new unity or GNOME desktops give me what I want.
tuxchick

May 31, 2011
10:48 AM EDT
A helpful Help? Pish tosh, this is Linux lad! We canna be bothered with such silliness!
skelband

May 31, 2011
12:22 PM EDT
@BernardSwiss: "I personally like menus that tell you what the special keys are, while you're using the mouse. "

Yeah, me too. I've been playing with the new Blender 2.5 interface (which, may I say is awesome) and it does the same thing. Shortcuts are everything in Blender. The popup tooltips for all buttons and menus show the shortcut key if one is defined and it's great.
Steven_Rosenber

May 31, 2011
4:17 PM EDT
Fvwm2 rocks!
helios

May 31, 2011
5:31 PM EDT
helios@helios-commandcenter:~$ man gnome-3-keyboard-shortcuts

NAME gnome 3 keyboard shortcuts - a confusing and time-wasting effort to memorize stuff you will use four times a year

SYNOPSIS

gnome 3 keyboard-shortcuts

[-h] [--help-with-cramped-fingers-from-impossible-key-combinations] [--help-all-with-newly-formed-carpal-tunnel] [--help-key-combinations ( see)[--help-with-cramped-fingers-from-impossible-key-combinations]) [-v] [--version]) {it doesn't matter because they will never change and will rarely be used}

caitlyn

Jun 02, 2011
12:53 AM EDT
Quoting:Fvwm2 rocks!
That is just so last century. Get with the program. PekWM!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!