And now a weather applet

Story: Ready for Gnome 3.2? Welcome back the weather applet! Total Replies: 19
Author Content
tracyanne

May 31, 2011
3:27 AM EDT
gee, they have been busy building in functionality.
ComputerBob

May 31, 2011
10:04 AM EDT
Today's forecast: A hard wind's gonna blow. Then a hard rain's gonna fall.
montezuma

May 31, 2011
11:47 AM EDT
Not impressed. The gnome 2 applet actually had the NWS (for US users) *verbal* forecast which is much more informative than a silly sunny/cloudy sign and a max/min temp

skelband

May 31, 2011
12:21 PM EDT
Why are they getting so excited about functionality that they lost and now are trying to restore?
gus3

May 31, 2011
12:23 PM EDT
Especially when a glance outside can accomplish the same thing?
tuxchick

May 31, 2011
12:39 PM EDT
Outside?? What are you gus3, some kind of weirdo??
DrGeoffrey

May 31, 2011
12:49 PM EDT
That's what I like about Linux. We attract such a broad spectrum of people.
gus3

May 31, 2011
3:59 PM EDT
@TC, as someone who goes joyriding once a year in a front end loader, you are not want to talk.
TxtEdMacs

May 31, 2011
4:20 PM EDT
gus,

Quoting: as [one] who goes joyriding once a year in a front end loader, you are not want to talk.

You are lacking is the esthetic beauty of that perch ... it's the smell.

YBT
helios

May 31, 2011
5:19 PM EDT
My kids and grandkids are spread all over the world, from Afghanistan to Belgium, from Los Angeles to Portland Maine. At the top of my panel, I have the Weather Report applet and I have four different geographical locations set...each a location where someone I care for is. With one click I can see the immediate weather, radar map and 5 day forecast for each of them. While many people might find this preoccupation with the weather a sign of advancing age and a "get-off-my-lawn" attitude, I find it comforting...maybe somewhat of a link to these people.

I did actually laugh aloud when I read the title to the story.

Here...let me leak the title of my next blog on this posting.

"I fell down but I got back up."

BernardSwiss

May 31, 2011
7:30 PM EDT
Glance outside!?

Are you joking!

We're Linux G44ks (tm) -- and "evarbody" knows; we all live in our momas' basements. No !@#$%& windows (let alone Windows) for us!

montezuma

May 31, 2011
9:17 PM EDT
Helios,

I agree completely. Why don't those gnome devs get off my lawn!!
helios

Jun 01, 2011
10:03 AM EDT
Why don't those gnome devs get off my lawn!!

I'm thinkin' it's due to where the drive spike is located. That would pretty much immobilize me....I'm just sayin'....
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2011
12:50 AM EDT
With a heat index over 100 degrees the last two days I don't want to know from outside. Looking at the weather report is just plain depressing this year.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 02, 2011
12:59 AM EDT
You must be out in the western U.S. like me Caitlyn, here in Phoenix the heat is just getting cranked up..;-)
caitlyn

Jun 02, 2011
1:01 AM EDT
Scoot, I'm in Raleigh, North Carolina, where the heat wave continues. Heck, it's a change after the record breaking tornadoes.
Fettoosh

Jun 02, 2011
9:17 AM EDT
After 10 days of rain and chilly weather, it has been and should be pretty nice for a week in Michigan.
helios

Jun 02, 2011
11:43 AM EDT
After 10 days of rain and chilly weather.....

When the temperature here in Austin is in the high 90's and reaches 104 with a humidity count of 77, I miss the Phoenix heat. At least spontaneous combustion provides some relief
Fettoosh

Jun 02, 2011
12:16 PM EDT
Quoting:... in Austin is in the high 90's and reaches 104 ...

Be assured that we have sympathy for you just as you have sympathy for us when we have the sub-zero temperature in the winter. It is time to go outside for fresh air before the weather changes. :-)

montezuma

Jun 02, 2011
7:06 PM EDT
Currently in NYC it is 68F with a dewpoint of 43F (thanks gnome applet!). Who said NY is a hell hole?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!