And less than three until Windows alternatives thrive

Story: Microsoft to Windows XP diehards: Just 3 more years' supportTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
vainrveenr

Jul 12, 2011
11:49 PM EDT
Such as, to wit:

- Ubuntu and other of the more popular Linux distros

- Android on a subset of devices.... pending Microsoft's widely publicized patent threats and shady "deals" (e.g., the recent 'Microsoft Tax on Linux Devices' piece found at http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/153377/index.html )

- The *BSDs

----

Quote from The Register piece:
Quoting:Unsurprisingly, Rose took the opportunity to big up Windows 7, which Microsoft's Steve Ballmer separately announced yesterday had now reached 400 million licence sales worldwide since its retail release in October 2009
OTOH, one can readily wonder When and How pundits such as Rose will either ratchet up their "bigging up" Windows 7 or else essentially give up and allow indefinite support for Windows XP --- should more and more persons completely switch completely away from XP unto Linux or unto other non-Microsoft OSs w/in the three year time-period ??

techiem2

Jul 12, 2011
11:53 PM EDT
Well, Windows 8 is scheduled for next year I believe...so.....at some point here they will start pushing that. I certainly hope more and more switch away.
nikkels

Jul 13, 2011
12:13 AM EDT
what I would like to know about.. >>>Steve Ballmer separately announced yesterday had now reached 400 million licence sales worldwide <<<

Is this < boxes > sold and bought by the end user? Is this < preinstalled > and sold to the enduser ? Is this< preinstalled > but nodody knows if they are already sold to the customer/end-user.

Sorry, I really don't know. Whats your take ?
techiem2

Jul 13, 2011
12:19 AM EDT
Does that count Site Licenses with MAK licensing? (I assume they would count the full number of possible activations as the number sold) Site Licensing with KMS licensing? (how many would they claim?)

etc. etc.

Yeah, I'd like to know exactly how that is calculated.
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2011
12:40 AM EDT
Windows and Office and Exchange and Sharepoint are tanking. Hence Ballmer's brilliance in levying Microsoft taxes on Android and other FOSS.

tuxchick

Jul 13, 2011
12:41 AM EDT
That was fun, I don't get to say "hence" very often.
dinotrac

Jul 13, 2011
4:37 AM EDT
@tc -

Wait -- I thought you lived on a ranch. You don't keep chickence? If so, you should have figured out by now that the roosterce aren't going to provide many eggs.
helios

Jul 13, 2011
10:13 AM EDT
TC...I know which direction any of those rotten eggs should be hurled...

dino, you should be ashamed of yourself. I know you are not, but you should be.

And why would anyone want to buy Windows software here? Besides, it is way too hencespensive.
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2011
10:26 AM EDT
Unrepentant and reprehence-ible louts!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!