KDE/QT for Mobile...

Story: Improving KDE's Plasma PerformanceTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Jeff91

Jul 23, 2011
12:38 AM EDT
I am always confused when people bring up QT/KDE as a mobile platform. Yes it can work well, but it was not built with mobile in mind - meaning it is a memory hog. There are better choices out there for investing in mobile tech in the world of FOSS that will make limited resource handhelds run much faster.

~Jeff
gus3

Jul 23, 2011
6:44 AM EDT
Now that I think about it, the only modern GUI toolkit that isn't a memory hog is Xt, but it needs the Xorg infrastructure. "It's a memory hog" is a complaint I've heard about every single GUI toolkit I've used on a desktop, Free or otherwise.

The original MacOS GUI was light on memory, thanks to extreme hand-optimization.

Jeff91

Jul 23, 2011
10:43 AM EDT
GUS3 - EFLs? They are built from the ground up with mobile in mind.

~Jeff
Fettoosh

Jul 23, 2011
12:00 PM EDT
Quoting:There are better choices out there for investing in mobile tech in the world of FOSS that will make limited resource handhelds run much faster.

The grass is always greener in someone else's yard. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't attend more to their yard to make the grass greener.

I guess the KDE devs agree with you and they are making the effort to change that. From the results, I believe they are making good progress.

It is impractical for them to switch to a different platform without trying to improve what they are currently using. Qt keeps improving and expanding to multiple platform, it is way too early to drop it at this stage to use another toolkit.

I guess this is the nature & beauty of FOSS, many different research efforts going on at the same time so users can pick and choose what they like and suits them the best.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!