Is it just me...?

Story: GNOME & KDE Developers Go To Battle Over A NameTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
helios

Jul 24, 2011
12:37 AM EDT
Or did anyone else want to run hot knitting needles into their eyes after just reading the story lead?

Personally, I think System Settings is fine. Given the Developer's propensity for naming stuff just as goofy as they can, I'm surprised they didn't name it "Clikzit".

Or some such thing...
fewt

Jul 25, 2011
4:14 PM EDT
Their solution looks reasonable enough. Update the .desktop files to show "KDE System Settings" when run in GNOME and "GNOME System Settings" when running KDE.

This is a non-issue blown out of proportion by the KDE System Settings maintainer. It happens though I guess.
Fettoosh

Jul 28, 2011
8:19 AM EDT
Quoting:This is a non-issue blown out of proportion by the KDE System Settings maintainer.

I don't think it was blown out of proportion, it is an issue that needed to be brought up. This is not the first time GNOME devs did that sort of thing.

KDE used Workspace to indicate a different interface, Gnome came after and used it to indicated virtual screens/Pages or something like that.

KDE used Activities to mean Projects, which are bundles/groupings of tasks, documents, applications, displays etc... GNOME came back and used it to mean a very limited display.

KDE started using System Settings, GNOME dropped whatever they were using to use System Settings too. It is nice to be consistent, but when users installed apps from both DE, two menu items were being created with the exact name. This caused confusion for the users.

So how is that a non-issue?

To bring the issue up was the responsible thing to do and as part of the coordination efforts. Otherwise it would have gotten worse, created more confusion, would have been much harder to fix, and kiss DE integration good bye.

fewt

Jul 28, 2011
8:58 AM EDT
Quoting:I don't think it was blown out of proportion, it is an issue that needed to be brought up. This is not the first time GNOME devs did that sort of thing.

Ben said: "This will be because they will both appear, leading to GNOME packagers stupidly patching the system to not show the KDE System Settings under GNOME."

The problem with your argument is that the KDE developers did the very same thing to GNOME years ago. If you believe that GNOME did it intentionally, you have to believe that KDE did too.

Jeremy said: "A similar event happened years ago except that KDE took Gnome's name. Gnome had its System Monitor by 2002, ksysguard was renamed to System Monitor 4.5 years later. Notably, neither app has its OnlyShowIn key set so this is actually the very same problem (except that both apps effectively do the same thing which isn't the case for systemsettings)."

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=131165974410531&w=2

Quoting:KDE started using System Settings, GNOME dropped whatever they were using to use System Settings too. It is nice to be consistent, but when users installed apps from both DE, two menu items were being created with the exact name. This caused confusion for the users.

Which was easily worked around once Ben took the chip off of his shoulder.

Quoting:So how is that a non-issue?

To bring the issue up was the responsible thing to do and as part of the coordination efforts. Otherwise it would have gotten worse, created more confusion, would have been much harder to fix, and kiss DE integration good bye.

It was hostile, and not well thought out. The resolution was stupid simple making it a non-issue blown out of proportion by Ben.

Ben said: "As KDE System Settings maintainer, I request that you immediately rename it once again to another name which is not in conflict."

Mark said "NativeDE - This one holds the desktop environment name where the app would be "native". So GNOME, KDE or whatever. NameNonNative - This one holds the app name when it's shown in a desktop environment that is not native. When not set fallback to "Name"

So for example the "System Settings" app in KDE looks somewhat like this in a .desktop file:

Name=System Settings NativeDE=KDE NameNonNative=KDE System Settings

The same applies for gnome system settings and also for the system monitor (that also has the naming issue) Isn't this a good solution?"

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=131142514605051&w=2

It has drawbacks, but my point was that it was unnecessarily blown out of proportion.

You obviously didn't read the thread.
Fettoosh

Jul 28, 2011
10:20 AM EDT
Whether the solution is simple or not, and no matter what you say, it is an issue because it was causing a problem and becoming a trend. Making a long hollow response doesn't change that.

I read the thread and not interested in you elaboration.

Quoting:Ben said ... Jeremy said: ...

That reminds me, I have some Ben & Jerry in the fridge.

fewt

Jul 28, 2011
10:26 AM EDT
Quoting:I read the thread and not interested in you elaboration.

Then close your browser, and stop replying.
Fettoosh

Jul 28, 2011
11:38 AM EDT
Quoting:Then close your browser, and stop replying

I won't do that. I will simply expose the inaccuracies and ignore the rubbish.

patrokov

Jul 28, 2011
9:29 PM EDT
Of course the obvious solution given the KDE penchants knaming all its apps is to k-ify all the settings. I doubt Gnome would ever name any of its settings with a K, even if the word actually starts with K.
fewt

Jul 29, 2011
6:44 AM EDT
Quoting:I won't do that. I will simply expose the inaccuracies and ignore the rubbish.

It must be a tough life living under a bridge.
Fettoosh

Jul 29, 2011
9:11 AM EDT
Quoting:It must be a tough life living under a bridge.

Never been there, I have no idea.

nikkels

Jul 29, 2011
9:26 AM EDT
And the winner is.................................................................?
hkwint

Jul 29, 2011
9:31 AM EDT
It's sad, this KDE/Gnome peeing contest.

Instead of caring about their users and making 1 single System Settings from which you can change settings of both Gnome and KDE - for those who use both - and sharing some settings, they still continue to live behind their iron curtains.
Fettoosh

Jul 29, 2011
10:35 AM EDT
Quoting:And the winner is.................................................................?

There isn't one, but I have all the time and am having fun aggravating someone who with a loose hole spouting all kind of insulting and derogatory remarks. I have thick hide and I laugh at insults coming from parasites behaving like children.

fewt

Jul 29, 2011
10:43 AM EDT
Quoting:There isn't one, but I have all the time and am having fun aggravating someone who with a loose hole spouting all kind of insulting and derogatory remarks. I have thick hide and I laugh at insults coming from parasites behaving like children.

Quoted for comedic value.
Fettoosh

Jul 29, 2011
11:43 AM EDT
Quoting:Quoted for comedic value.

Only when perceived by a severely low IQ.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!