this is a story because...

Story: Linus switches to Xfce, calls for a Gnome 2 forkTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
fischerville

Aug 05, 2011
11:17 AM EDT
Is this a story largely because much of the community agrees with him? That is, i would say, the real story. Whenever i hear "Linus has switched from X to Y", it reminds me of the rhetorical device of invoking what "the founding fathers would have wanted".

The real story is not what Linus is doing, but what the community needs and wants.
helios

Aug 05, 2011
11:41 AM EDT
The "real" story is that Linus is reflecting the attitude of much of the community. It punctuates the situation, if not defines it.
vainrveenr

Aug 05, 2011
12:03 PM EDT
Quoting:The real story is not what Linus is doing, but what the community needs and wants.
One could also write: The real story is not just what Linus and the community need and want, but what the Gnome3 developers have already developed (supposedly, for the benefit of "the community") in this particular 3x release.

As Linus points out to +Cyrill Gorcunov:
Quoting:... Why can't I have shortcuts on my desktop? Why can't I have the expose functionality? Wobbly windows? Why does anybody sane think that it's a good idea to have that "go to the crazy 'activities'" menu mode?

I used to be upset when gnome developers decided it was "too complicated" for the user to remap some mouse buttons. In gnome3, the developers have apparently decided that it's "too complicated" to actually do real work on your desktop, and have decided to make it really annoying to do.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!