There is no call for a fork of gnome2 - why exagerate?

Story: Linus switches to Xfce, calls for a Gnome 2 forkTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
mxc

Aug 05, 2011
11:57 AM EDT
this headline is deliberately misleading. There is no call for a fork of gnome 2 at all. He is just saying how much he hates gnome 3.
Koriel

Aug 05, 2011
12:32 PM EDT
Actually if your read Linus's original post and not the paraphrased one shown here he did ask if the Fedora developers would fork it. although im guessing based on his sense of humour he did so jokingly.

The original thread is here
DrDubious

Aug 05, 2011
12:41 PM EDT
Personally, I'd rather see "faster development on XFCE" rather than "fork of Gnome2".

(I may be a moderate KDE fanboy, but I'm happy using XFCE as well.)
Koriel

Aug 05, 2011
12:54 PM EDT
Have to agree with you on the XFCE angle, Ive been an XFCE user for almost a year and a half now after switching from KDE4.

Although I like KDE4 it just consumes too much resources, XFCE is a good balance between useability and resource usage and therefore suits my needs perfectly.

It would be nice to see more development on XFCE as long it doesn't introduce bloat.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 05, 2011
7:34 PM EDT
Now that Xfce has the ability to run network shares out of Thunar, it's closer to GNOME in terms of functionality than ever.
jdixon

Aug 05, 2011
9:58 PM EDT
> Although I like KDE4 it just consumes too much resources, XFCE is a good balance between useability and resource usage and therefore suits my needs perfectly.

That's been my experience also. XFCE seems to just strike the right balance.

Jeff91

Aug 06, 2011
3:12 AM EDT
Thunar really turns me off.

Is there anything thunar does better than PCManFM? Because I personally have yet to find anything.

~Jeff
scan2006

Aug 06, 2011
4:19 AM EDT
@Jeff91 Thunar has custom actions which is super easy to use and handy as h#ll.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!