That is NOT a $300 price. That is a $300 down payment.

Story: Droid Bionic unveiled with 4G, dual-core CPU, and a $300 priceTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
dinotrac

Sep 08, 2011
11:34 AM EDT
The thing is paid for across the life of that contract you sign.

For all the time people here fantasised about "Microsoft taxes" when buying Windows computers, not so much squawking about the control carriers exert on mobiles in this country and the relative paucity of real price competition.

And people talk about free markets. Would really be nice to have one.
Jeff91

Sep 08, 2011
5:15 PM EDT
Yep. It's no different than people getting a "smart" phone for "only 200$". The cost is really paid out over a higher 2 year contract.

I wish we could just cut usage rates to a reasonable price and instead have people buy their hardware out right.

Oh wait, that would make sense.

~Jeff
fewt

Sep 08, 2011
5:21 PM EDT
Quoting:It's no different than people getting a "smart" phone for "only 200$". The cost is really paid out over a higher 2 year contract.

Is the contract higher though, mine hasn't ever been.

Quoting:I wish we could just cut usage rates to a reasonable price and instead have people buy their hardware out right.

You do have the option to buy the hardware outright, you just have to tell them that is what you want to do. That just gives you a device without a contract, the rate doesn't change...
BernardSwiss

Sep 08, 2011
5:28 PM EDT
Quoting:You do have the option to buy the hardware outright, you just have to tell them that is what you want to do. That just gives you a device without a contract, the rate doesn't change...

And if you had any question avout whether the market is actually a competitive one....
2briancox

Sep 08, 2011
5:39 PM EDT
Idk why but I got mine for $250 on the website!

And yeah there's a usage fee to make that phone the price it is. But I am also locked in to unlimited access. I wouldn't be giving that up for the next 2 years anyway.
fewt

Sep 08, 2011
7:02 PM EDT
Quoting:And if you had any question avout whether the market is actually a competitive one...

There should be no doubt that the market is competitive. They compete with each other to rape consumers. ;)
Jeff91

Sep 08, 2011
7:04 PM EDT
fewt

With TMO USA the monthly rate is 20$ less per month for no contract as it should be :)

~Jeff
tracyanne

Sep 08, 2011
7:12 PM EDT
Quoting:I wish we could just cut usage rates to a reasonable price and instead have people buy their hardware out right.

You can in Australia.
fewt

Sep 08, 2011
7:21 PM EDT
@Jeff91 - That is very cool. I'm about to dump AT&NOCARRIER, maybe I'll head back to TMO - I had given them my business for 15 years before my (former) company told me to go get an iPhone. Worst decision evar.
dinotrac

Sep 08, 2011
10:11 PM EDT
>s the contract higher though, mine hasn't ever been.

That is clue number 1.

Ask yourself: How can a company possibly sell you service for the same price whether or not they subsidize the cost of a phone?

The answer is simple: In the absence of real competition, they can simply rip you off.
tmx

Sep 08, 2011
10:34 PM EDT
I'm using Virgin Mobile USA, which is owned by Sprint and share the same network, no contract, $25 a month for 300min and unlimited 3G data, text, GPS. But they only offer the same plan for $35 now.

Strange, but after buying an Android tablet I don't use my Android cellphone anymore except for calling. I returned 3 Android tablets to eventually settle with the Acer Iconia A500 because it has a full sized USB port onboard (the rejects were Asus Transformer and Toshiba Thrive).

So much hope had for Meego but couldn't offer to wait any longer, hope that rumour about Samsung buying it is true.
Jeff91

Sep 08, 2011
10:58 PM EDT
I some how doubt samsung is about to dump money into QT after investing in the superior EFLs for all these years ;)

~Jeff

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!