typical

Story: HTC Android handsets spew private data to ANY appTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
tmx

Oct 03, 2011
1:17 PM EDT
Even if its not HTC, just using vanilla Android alone you send massive info to Google. Even if not to Google, people should simply know the technology modern cellphone are capable off and the tracking ability which not only law authority makes use of. The worse argument you can get is "if nothing to hide" or "they will abide by the law with your info" etc, when so many phone hacking and accounts and servers suffering the risk. IE. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandcon...

There are few good security apps for Android:

-"AdFree" which add ads and webtracking blocklist to the /etc/hosts file.

-"LBE Privacy Guard" which let you either block or have a permission prompt for apps to allow accessing network services (contacts, call logs, sms, phone ID (IMEI / IMSI), and internet.)

Both of these need a root permission though. AdFree is fine since its made by XDA, or you could simply edit the /etc/hosts file yourself, which require root permission ofcourse. LBE I don't think is open source from what I gather. It seem legitimate as it blocks properly and even preventing google and system apps access.

Once you install LBE, you'll note some free apps wanting your phone ID and location for god knows what. Or weather apps that request your GPS location even though you set manual location. I don't have an HTC phone myself, but base on the article and video, I wonder if LBE is able to detect the HTC logging app and block its connection or they are connect through secure tunneling.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!