Open source jobs

Story: Open source jobs: What's hot, where to look, what to learnTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Oct 18, 2011
9:07 PM EDT
Remember in the IT business you are not that effected by local depressions - it's a global market. It is easy really - you only have to be better than the rest of the world.
tracyanne

Oct 18, 2011
10:22 PM EDT
or charge less.
helios

Oct 19, 2011
1:03 AM EDT
Oh there are IT INCLUDING open source/Linux jobs in Austin. They are abundant.

If you want to work for what amounts to 12 dollars an hour as a 1099 contractor with no benefits and boiler room conditions.

Somewhere in 2008, word got out that "there is work" in Texas. A ton of people migrated from the bay area as well as the East Coast and many of them were IT folks recently laid off. The glut of "talent" drove the wages down so low one of my best friends quit his IT job and went to work as a diesel mechanic. He was lucky to have those skills on which to fall back.

Of course, a job I turned down at Google paid in the high 90's but I had to move to the bay area to get it. Counting the cost of living there, that 97K shrunk considerably...it equates to about a 40K job here in Austin, but you have to do a lot more here to even make that much.

So yeah, there is IT and specifically Linux work here in Austin. Just how much are you willing to sacrifice to do it?

jdixon

Oct 19, 2011
11:53 AM EDT
> Just how much are you willing to sacrifice to do it?

Talk to me in about 9 years, Ken. :) That's when I hope to retire and will be looking for something to keep me occupied, so pay won't be as important.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!