Drupal's benefits

Story: Top 10 Benefits of DrupalTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
linuxsavvy

Oct 21, 2011
12:43 AM EDT
Drupal surely is a wonderful CMS.

The biggest benefit I see is the powerful user/role management.

What are the other points that makes it stand out from CMS's like Wordpress and Joomla?
dinotrac

Oct 21, 2011
7:39 AM EDT
Hmmm.

Having been forced to dive into Joomla's code, one benefit of Drupal is that it's not Joomla. I still get the shakes thinking about it. Maybe it's better now.
Grishnakh

Oct 21, 2011
11:35 AM EDT
@dinotrac: I wonder if this is a big problem with a lot of "open source" web software. I was looking for a shopping cart program a while back and started looking at OScommerce and Magento. [deleted for TOS violation], those programs (Magento in particular) were a mess; not a single comment anywhere; they might as well have run it through an obfuscator. I think a lot of this software is only open-source so they can claim that, but in reality the code is impossible to really do anything with unless you're one of the original developers, and what they really want is for you to buy the commercial version.
dinotrac

Oct 21, 2011
12:52 PM EDT
@grish - Could be, but I suspect it's more a matter of growth by accretion without a good firm hand on direction. At the risk of sounding like a fanboi, I think Linus Torvalds gets too little appreciation for the firm hand he keeps on the Linux rudder. Mad coding skills are one thing, but keeping all those mad coders pulling in the right direction is a rare gift.
Grishnakh

Oct 21, 2011
1:00 PM EDT
@dino: Yes, but even in other more-typical OSS code I've seen, there's still some comments here and there. Magento doesn't have a single comment anywhere in its codebase IIRC. That to me is suspicious, and indicative of deliberate obfuscation.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!