If only they'd do this for Ubuntu 8.04...

Story: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Gets 5 Years SupportTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Oct 24, 2011
7:55 PM EDT
... I'd be much more impressed.
DrGeoffrey

Oct 24, 2011
8:29 PM EDT
Is this another 'lipstick on a pig' moment?
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 24, 2011
10:09 PM EDT
8.04 was a sweet release, to be sure.
helios

Oct 25, 2011
8:42 AM EDT
10.04 is proving to be just as stable I think...We have a lot of machines still using 8.04 out there just humming along. My only problem with 10.04 is various broadcom drivers not supported OOTB. In the Mint release mirroring 10.04 (9 I believe), you got a driver window popping up telling you that "unsupported drivers" are available (much better than "restricted drivers"). In a few seconds, and if you had a hard-wired connection or a wireless device that was supported, you could have your proprietary wireless device up and running in seconds.

In Ubuntu, that doesn't happen.

HeliOS is using Ubuntu 10.04 until it is no longer supported and then we will probably move to the Lxde version of Mint, maybe the gnome3 version if they can restore functionality and flexibility to it. Lxde is still a bit weak for power users but it works pretty good otherwise.

Having 5 year support on any release is a great thing. Who knows, Unity might be usable by then.....

Or not.
Jeff91

Oct 25, 2011
12:05 PM EDT
Power users should use Enlightenment, no question about it.

~Jeff

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!