more comment

Story: Linux servers work just fineTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Oct 25, 2011
10:18 PM EDT
This doesn't seem worth proposing as an independent submission, but for those who might be interested, here's another response to Gewirtz's astounding Linux woes...

http://nytefyre.net/2011/10/jumping-out-the-window/

helios

Oct 26, 2011
12:20 PM EDT
"Oh, sure, if you work with Linux every hour of every day, if this is all you do, and all you love, if you’ve never had a date since you grew that one facial hair, if you’ve never had any other responsibility in your entire life, then you know every bit of every undocumented piece of folklore. You know which forums and which forum posters have the very long and bizarre command line that only. That. One. Guy. Knows. "

Documenting weaknesses within any computing platform is one thing, but this person lost all credibility with the above attack.

I am surprised that ZDNet published this. It might tell you a bit about ZDNet as well.

This analyzes down to a small, bitter, angry man lashing out at his own inability.

Nothing more.
zentrader

Oct 26, 2011
12:27 PM EDT
+1 on the smallness of the person posting that and +1 on ZDNet. They have gone downhill so far that I don't read anything posted by them anymore.
tuxchick

Oct 26, 2011
12:37 PM EDT
It's clickbait. ZDNet left the publishing business a long time ago. Advertisers are the real customers of online publishing, so as long as readers are not willing to pay we're at the mercy of marketing morons.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 26, 2011
1:16 PM EDT
I think ZDNet lets its writers write whatever they want. Beats the alternative (says writer).
techiem2

Oct 26, 2011
2:52 PM EDT
+1 to tuxchick and Steven

I stopped reading much there several years ago when I realized that most of the articles were inflammatory and most of the commenters are there just for a never ending flamewar.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 26, 2011
3:13 PM EDT
There is a lot of good content on ZDNet.com/news.
Grishnakh

Oct 26, 2011
3:57 PM EDT
@techiem2: That sounds a lot like Slashdot actually.
tuxchick

Oct 26, 2011
4:08 PM EDT
Not much, Steven. It's like trying to pick the tasty bits out of the swill pot.
Grishnakh

Oct 26, 2011
4:12 PM EDT
The only time I ever read a ZDnet article is when one is linked from here on lxer or on linuxtoday. And then, after I do, I'm sorry. I think it'd really be better if these sites just ignored ZDnet and stopped driving traffic to that cesspool of a website.
Koriel

Oct 26, 2011
7:41 PM EDT
I used to also read ZDnet and ZDnet UK.

The UK site is not as bad as the US site but it is also heading in that general direction so much so that I have pretty much stopped going to either of them.
techiem2

Oct 26, 2011
8:03 PM EDT
Quoting:@techiem2: That sounds a lot like Slashdot actually.

Yeah...I stopped reading them loooong ago. These days they barely seem to post anything but a tiny teaser of some article...and don't always seem to point to the source...
Grishnakh

Oct 26, 2011
9:27 PM EDT
@techiem2: I still read them; I guess I'm addicted to the drama... but I also haven't found any alternate sites that provide good tech news coverage like Slashdot does. This site's good for Linux news, but that's it; if there's some interesting new article about space exploration or whatever, you need a more general site like Slashdot to find it. You can go to the big sites like Google News, but then you'll only find the more major news stories, whereas Slashdot will have stories about more obscure things.
helios

Oct 26, 2011
9:53 PM EDT
Aside from the snarky and sarcastic-biting-hate-filled-bullet-projecting comments, there really is some profound and intelligent commentary sprinkled throughout. I've learned a lot just by reading the comments themselves....and admit to being mildly amused by some of the most creative siglines in history...such as:

"From the Department of Redundancy Department".

You gotta love stuff like that....only on /.
cr

Oct 26, 2011
10:39 PM EDT
I regularly browse "Alterslash, the unofficial Slashdot digest" (http://alterslash.org) throughout the day. These days I seldom dive into the javascript sludge of Slashdot itself unless I think the comments stream is going to be worthwhile saving to disk.
BernardSwiss

Oct 26, 2011
10:44 PM EDT
I learned a lot about Linux from ZDNet -- in the Win'9x - early WinXP days. But I learned it mostly from the comments -- and most of the well-informed, experienced or objectively-minded commenters (on either side of Linux-Windows issues) no longer bother to participate

So I don't usually go there much, anymore. (But a recent few "sick-days" meant I had plenty of time to waste in that echo-chamber, and it's gotten even more sadly drenched in the koolaid.)

And yes, the non-USA branches of ZDNet seem to be in better shape.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!