gnome shooting their own foot

Story: United for Unity alternativesTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 26, 2011
4:35 PM EDT
We've been down this road before-- choices are good, forced changes are a losing strategy, and the Gnome peeps never seem to learn from their own history. If something is good and useful, users will be drawn to it. If you have to force it on them, I'd say that's a good sign it stinks.
montezuma

Oct 26, 2011
5:46 PM EDT
Absolutely correct. Ubuntu is likely going to lose users to Linux Mint over this issue. I am waiting for their next release in November then will likely switch after having used Ubuntu since the first version.
albinard

Oct 26, 2011
6:26 PM EDT
A sad state of affairs, I must say. I used to think of a new LTS version of Ubuntu as something to look forward to, but Ubuntu 12.04 seems more like a 5 year sentence.
lcafiero

Oct 26, 2011
7:15 PM EDT
Well, albinard, it depends: If the 12.04 LTS extends to all *buntus -- as it does now, if I understand correctly -- and you're using Xubuntu 12.04 or Kubuntu 12.04 (or Lubuntu 12.04 -- don't want to forget LXDE), then you'd be set for five years with that distro version. That's a good thing, as funny as it sounds coming from me.
Koriel

Oct 26, 2011
7:31 PM EDT
The problem with shooting themselves in the foot is since that foot is currently lodged in their mouth's they are blowing their own heads off as well :)
albinard

Oct 26, 2011
9:33 PM EDT
I know it's a good thing, Larry, you're exactly right - but I couldn't resist the wisecrack. And you're also right that I'll be sticking with LXDE, but I'll probably put the full version on at least once just to see what it's all about.
helios

Oct 26, 2011
10:01 PM EDT
Koriel, you say that like it's a bad thing...

And of course it is, but still...
kennethh

Oct 27, 2011
12:22 PM EDT
Good to see all of the great enthusiasm still going! Way to go gnome3/unity/apple/win8!!! Three cheers for assimilation!

But seriously the Mate project seems to still be going strong with only 1 person doing the commits... Supposedly linux mint will be trying out mate--rumor only at this point.

@lcafiero You make a very good point.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!