xubuntu is one option

Story: Xubuntu 11.10 and my NetbookTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
herzeleid

Nov 01, 2011
5:56 PM EDT
On the other hand, I've switched to kde-4.7 on my ubuntu 11.10 netbook and desktop, and am pleasantly surprised to find that kde is now quite usable. Just in the nick of time!
lcafiero

Nov 01, 2011
8:29 PM EDT
/me looks at his watch and waits for the usual hailstorm of criticism hurled at KDE. :-)
jdixon

Nov 01, 2011
9:49 PM EDT
If it's usable it's usable. Of course, at 4.7, it's about time. I have no intention of using it though. XFCE is still working fine.
tuxchick

Nov 01, 2011
10:12 PM EDT
/me hails.

There, all done.
herzeleid

Nov 02, 2011
12:19 AM EDT
@larry - I was one of the people who've had harsh words for kde. I was once a happy kde 3.5 user, and 4.0 sent me running to gnome. I checked back with kde periodically and never saw anything near as good as 3.5. I blame the arrogant kde devs for squandering a tremendous amount of good will and a sizeable lead in the desktop wars, turning the most popular linux desktop environment into a strange little niche for die hards and masochists.

But finally, after 3+ years, I tried kubuntu 11.10 and liked it enough to switch back. Kde 4 has now gotten to be just about as good as 3.5 was - and in contrast to the dumbing down and loss of control I've seen in gnome and unity, all the fine-grained controls in kde are a welcome change.
tracyanne

Nov 02, 2011
12:27 AM EDT
Depending on what happens re Gnome and Linux Mint, I may go back to KDE in April 2013 probably 4.10 or 11, when Linux Mint 9 is due for upgrading to Linux Mint 13.
lcafiero

Nov 02, 2011
12:39 AM EDT
herzeleid -- Interesting commentary, and I'm glad that it appears that KDE is living up to the expectations longtime users expect of it. I'm a post 4.x user on those times that I've used KDE and it has always worked well for me, but like jdixon I prefer Xfce.
Fettoosh

Nov 02, 2011
12:57 PM EDT
Quoting:/me hails.

There, all done.

Hold on TC, not so fast until jdixon & others are using KDE 4, it is not done. :-)

jdixon

Nov 02, 2011
5:07 PM EDT
> ...until jdixon & others are using KDE 4, it is not done...

You may have a long wait Fettoosh. I usually use my wife's cast off machines, and they're uniformly run XFCE better than either KDE or Gnome. So that's what I use. I used some KDE 3.5 apps from within XFCE (noatun, freecell, ktorrent, and K3b most notably). But I've never bothered with KDE 4, as I haven't needed them.
helios

Nov 03, 2011
9:47 AM EDT
To jdixon's point...I am running the 11 version of Mint and if I have learned anything, it's not to combine gnome and kde apps. Sure things are fine for a couple of updates, but down the road, things go from wonky to broken. Funny though, on my LXDE and Xfce boxes at the shop, I use several kde3 apps under both and have for about a year. Not a glitch one.

Of course, I've only done this as Gnome being the parent and kde apps being the addons...don't know if it works the other way around and I only assume it does. I guess not playing well together is a generational thing with these two. Shame that.
Grishnakh

Nov 03, 2011
1:03 PM EDT
@helios: I'm a long-time KDE user, and I've never seen any problems when running GTK/Gnome apps (other than them not looking as good, using a really crappy file dialog, etc.). Certainly no "brokenness". I haven't used any Gnome apps in a while now, but I used to frequently use one called "grip" for ripping CDs, but I use K3B for that now since grip seems to have disappeared for some reason; too bad, it was a nice ripper with tons and tons of options and configurability (which makes it curious why it was a Gnome app). I also use Firefox (though I'm doing more browsing in Chromium these days) and GIMP, and those are both GTK apps.
tracyanne

Nov 03, 2011
4:04 PM EDT
Ken, I use and have usedfor the last 11 years a mixture of GNOME and KDE applications without any issues at all. My current desktop is GNOME2 on Linux Mint, and I'm using digikam, k3b, Kdeveop4, palapeli and various others
BernardSwiss

Nov 03, 2011
6:12 PM EDT
As far as I can figure -- based on my own admittedly limited experience and suppositions -- problems with updating Mint come mainly from using both Mint Update and other updating tools such as Synaptic or apt-get/aptitude. (That's not an excuse, just an observation.)

I wonder if it may have something to do with how the default package management options are set. I do know that the Mint Update tool is more conservative in its recommendations and if you run Synaptic/Apt/Aptitude to install something, you will see packages being changed that haven't shown up in Mint Update -- presumably packages that Mint Update has been ignoring.

I think (I haven't checked) Mint Update is a front end for Apt/Aptitude, so one would expect them to be compatible, but that seems (to me) to be not quite dependably true.

(Mint has its own 5-point scale rating-system for how safe/desirable individual package updates are, ranging from important and tested by the Mint maintainers to not tested but probably safe to more-or-less risky. By default only the top three categories are shown and acted on.)

Just to make things more complicated, Mint Update seems to be not quite robust when doing heavy (eg. the 1st post-install update) updates on low-resource systems (such as the early XP-era laptop I installed it on, (older P4, limited RAM, USB 1.1, no wifi) )

FWIW

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!