they are already significantly different

Story: OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice – Two excellent choicesTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 13, 2011
3:29 PM EDT
The article says OpenOffice and LibreOffice are equivalent, but they're not. In the year since LibreOffice was founded it has been significantly cleaned up and improved, while OOo has been stagnating for two years and counting. I don't see much of a future for OpenOffice as it seems redundant and has fallen so far behind. I wrote about it a few weeks ago, for anyone interested in the amazing progress of LibreOffice in its first year: https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/495145-the-libreoffice...

Poor old OOo was held back under Sun, and neglected at Oracle, and is far behind where it could be if it had been a genuine community project. I think we're going to see LibreOffice continue to improve at warp speed.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 14, 2011
2:11 AM EDT
I've been having issues with .docx files in LO (I'm on 3.4.3, I think). Most are OK, but I have one source that uses .docx with graphics, and I can't see most of the text in the documents.

I've left OOo far behind in the rear-view mirror in both Linux and Windows.
helios

Nov 14, 2011
10:01 AM EDT
Yes Steve, complex graphics in both calc and writer are still our Achilles heel. LO has made great improvements in this area but as you infer, the docx format still plagues the Open Source world.
ComputerBob

Nov 14, 2011
10:16 AM EDT
He implied; you inferred. ;)
helios

Nov 14, 2011
10:22 AM EDT
everwhat ;-)
patrokov

Nov 14, 2011
6:34 PM EDT
.docx compatibility even plagues Office. Documents created in Office 2007 don't always open correctly in 2010. What's worse is that Word repaginates documents based on the installed printer, so a document that looks fine at home may have issues at work. I expect that Office 2013 won't open .docx files at all.
tuxchick

Nov 14, 2011
7:41 PM EDT
.docx is a perfect example of how lockin mania leads to dead ends. Make a better product? Try to please customers? Pish tosh, not when you can vex and annoy and drive them crazy.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!