Okay.....I'm a Luddite.......

Story: Plasma Workspaces Wallpaper ContestTotal Replies: 24
Author Content
Ridcully

Nov 20, 2011
5:56 PM EDT
I have been looking at the latest release of KDE4 and its desktop colours. Frankly, I didn't like them and that goes for all of them since early in the series. I may be old fashioned, but I very, very strongly prefer a simple DE background and the one I use is just plain light blue with a couple of white swirls. The point I make is that it is very easy on the eyes, you can see any icons and their text very clearly and ........well........it's simply what I personally like. The only way I can get at my preferred background now is to make sure I have a copy of openSUSE 11.1 tucked away somewhere in my folder, open it up and find the relevant section of the files.......and copy it across.

It would be nice if the KDE developers recognised that some users actually like and prefer these older desktop colours and schemes and once again the reasons are: simplicity, elegance, ease of use, and I'll go back to my Luddite cave which remains in the neanderthalic era of computing. :-)

Hey, but for those who love the newest and splashiest with the riotest and mostest of clashing colours, or huge panoramas of mountains, forests, waterfalls, cities, buildings......you name it........well, go for it and I thoroughly back your choice......I'd just be happy to still have the option on each release of having what I want.
helios

Nov 20, 2011
6:06 PM EDT
You have no choice. You will be assimilated.
albinard

Nov 20, 2011
9:19 PM EDT
There was a peaceful lotus pond desktop image in the collection for Ubuntu 9.04 that I've been recycling now and then just for the heck of it. I keep a copy on a thumb drive for emergency use. Very calming.
Ridcully

Nov 21, 2011
12:49 AM EDT
@Albinard........that's a very good idea which simply didn't occur to me (perhaps I really am neanderthalic).......find those old images and stick them on a thumb drive just because I like them - I'll pull them off the old 11.1 drive and see how we go.. Ummm......Helios, I think you got the wrong word......memories come flooding back and you just need to say: "Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate" in very mechanical tones LOL.
tracyanne

Nov 21, 2011
2:05 AM EDT
Here's my desktop bg, does that make me a luddite or what?

jezuch

Nov 21, 2011
2:43 AM EDT
Desktop background? What's a desktop background? ...What's a desktop??

;)

Seriously, I used to care about the desktop, but I see it so rarely these days...
tmx

Nov 21, 2011
3:45 AM EDT
Not really, with KDE its very easy to go into settings and download multitude of user created desktop themes and widgets.
Ridcully

Nov 21, 2011
3:55 AM EDT
Naaaah Tracyanne......that makes you avant garde/cutting edge in my books so I am afraid you cannot join my ranks of neanderthalis. lol :-) Actually, I must admit, the pen and writing is rather cool......I did have some amazing shots of red flowered passionfruit flowers which have been used by others as desktop views.....but I never did myself.
tracyanne

Nov 21, 2011
6:53 AM EDT
Gnome doesn't allow different backgrounds on multiple monitors, but I managed to hack it so that I can, which I thought was pretty cool. Interestingly the same hack also works on Windows.
ComputerBob

Nov 21, 2011
9:55 AM EDT
Am I the only one who sees the right side of everyone's text cut off, making them unreadable?

It feels like I have to report that same problem every time someone posts an image in a thread.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 21, 2011
11:06 AM EDT
[serious]

CB,

I have experienced the same situation as you describe, however, not at this moment. Moreover, I have no idea how it was corrected. I apologize that I could not be helpful.

[/serious]

YBT
mrider

Nov 21, 2011
11:55 AM EDT
The problem is that the forum columns are inside a table while the side bar is in a separate div that floats to the right. When there's nothing but text in the columns, the text can wrap wherever is necessary in order to make the table fit. But when there's an image in the table, then the column is forced to be the width of the image - since the image can neither wrap nor scale. However, the div to the right takes a certain width no matter whether or not it floats over the top of the table.

Basically the right div which floats is hiding the text in the column. The text in the column is being forced under the div by the image.
Fettoosh

Nov 21, 2011
12:46 PM EDT
Quoting:Am I the only one who sees the right side of everyone's text cut off, making them unreadable?

Probably not. I experienced this before but, like mrider, not this time.

In the past, I corrected the issue depending on what browser I am using. In Chrome, I right click on the offending element and select "Inspect element", delete it in the edit screen and the columns display good again.

Other browsers, I normally zoom out and that normally corrects the problem.

ComputerBob

Nov 21, 2011
1:24 PM EDT
Quoting:In the past, I corrected the issue depending on what browser I am using. In Chrome, I right click on the offending element and select "Inspect element", delete it in the edit screen and the columns display good again.

Other browsers, I normally zoom out and that normally corrects the problem.
Or, in this case, TA could reduce the width of her uploaded desktop image, so that it fits within this column.

A suggestion for the future: On this forum's "posting" screen, tell users the maximum width that uploaded images can be.
Grishnakh

Nov 21, 2011
2:02 PM EDT
computerBob wrote:Or, in this case, TA could reduce the width of her uploaded desktop image, so that it fits within this column.

A suggestion for the future: On this forum's "posting" screen, tell users the maximum width that uploaded images can be.

That's retarded. The site software should be smart enough to automatically resize any oversize images if necessary. Asking users to worry about image sizes when software can easily handle this thing automatically sounds like something straight out of 1990.
ComputerBob

Nov 21, 2011
2:22 PM EDT
Quoting:That's retarded. The site software should be smart enough...
Putting aside your unnecessary personal attack, and your wishes for how it *should* work, this forum's software is apparently not smart enough to do that task, as evidenced by the fact that the problem happens almost every time someone uploads an image.

With that in mind, it makes sense to tell users to reduce their images to a size that will fit into the allotted space.
gus3

Nov 21, 2011
2:42 PM EDT
speed + smarts = X

where X is an as-yet unquantified constant.
skelband

Nov 21, 2011
2:53 PM EDT
I got with the original Ubuntu Jaunty brown. It's simple, like Ridcully I can see my icons and it looks warm.

When I put on a new distribution, I sometimes do cycle through the background just out of curiosity, but I always find them distracting.
mrider

Nov 21, 2011
3:24 PM EDT
Quoting:With that in mind, it makes sense to tell users to reduce their images to a size that will fit into the allotted space.

The problem is that the allotted space depends on your screen resolution, browser size, and font size. There's no magic "make sure it's x by y and it will always work for everyone" value.

Rudeness aside, I'm with Grishnakh, a bit of JavaScript would solve this nicely.
ComputerBob

Nov 21, 2011
4:17 PM EDT
Quoting:..a bit of JavaScript would solve this nicely.
That's all academic, since AFAICT, nobody has solicited or volunteered that code -- and so the image-display problem continues to affect some of us every time anyone posts an image.

If no one is going to fix the problem, and it's "retarded" to warn users about it, then maybe this forum should stop accepting posted images. At least then we'd all be able to read each other's posts.

<Shields up>
tracyanne

Nov 21, 2011
5:11 PM EDT
@ComputerBob, the image size that would work on my screen would be 4 times the size that it currently is. However, I'll reduce the image size.
Grishnakh

Nov 21, 2011
5:55 PM EDT
@ComputerBob: I didn't personally attack you, I only described your writing accurately. And no, telling people to work around limitations in a website's software IS retarded, and it's even more retarded when you ask for the website to be re-coded to ask them to do so, instead of asking for the website to be re-coded to just handle it automatically.
gus3

Nov 21, 2011
8:26 PM EDT
JavaScript? On LXer?

Bite your tongue.
ComputerBob

Nov 21, 2011
11:24 PM EDT
Quoting:@ComputerBob: I didn't personally attack you, I only described your writing accurately.

(Written, edited, rewritten and deleted several times - life's too short - it's just not worth it to respond to unrepentant insults.)
ComputerBob

Nov 22, 2011
8:31 AM EDT
Quoting:@ComputerBob, the image size that would work on my screen would be 4 times the size that it currently is. However, I'll reduce the image size.
Thank you. Now I can finally read this thread, though I have no motivation to do so any more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!