Hardware compatibility

Story: The Advantages of Using LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
amadensor

Nov 29, 2011
2:44 PM EDT
I have a machine that is a few years old. It is still full functional, and fast enough for everything I do, including audio and video editing. Luckily I use Linux, because I am running the current (testing) version of Debian with all of the nice, current versions of software. Windows 7 won't even run on it.
DrGeoffrey

Nov 29, 2011
6:37 PM EDT
Ahhh, another advantage of running older hardware!
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2011
12:27 AM EDT
You could have a computer from the last few years of the last century and there are Windows distros that will run on it.
gus3

Nov 30, 2011
10:13 AM EDT
Windows distros or releases?

Yes, I might be splitting hairs, or maybe she knows something I don't.
DrGeoffrey

Nov 30, 2011
7:04 PM EDT
Quoting:You could have a computer from the last few years of the last century and there are Windows distros that will run on it.

My son has a 9 inch Samsung netbook, and I work with a 13 inch Asus. The Samsung came with Winblows XP, and ran like a drunken slug when someone dared to run XP. However, with Mint it even plays games at an acceptable speed.

The Asus came with Winblows 7, and every time I start 7 (Not very often) I am reminded of watching an old drunk trying to get up from a night of sleeping/drinking on a park bench. You can almost hear the creaking of bones.

Now, to be certain, this Asus was designed from the ground up for battery life. And it does quite well. But, under Mint Debian, SalineOS, and now Sabayon I can easily get 8+ hours of usable time out of the battery with a system that is noticeably faster than the Samsung. Plenty of speed for an academic, it often outpaces the fancy, schmancy, desktop on campus saddled with XP.

There may be a Windows "designed" for these systems, but Windows most certainly does not RUN on these systems. Staggers, crawls, or upchucks are much more appropriate descriptors.

BernardSwiss

Nov 30, 2011
7:52 PM EDT
@DrGeoffrey

Now that is halfway to being an article, itself!
DrGeoffrey

Nov 30, 2011
8:29 PM EDT
A little long-winded for me, though.

I usually subscribe to the Charles M. Winchester III philosophy, "Be brief and be gone."
BernardSwiss

Nov 30, 2011
9:44 PM EDT
I like "succinct". Easier said than done, though.
caitlyn

Dec 01, 2011
12:21 AM EDT
I mean to say Linux distros, not Windows. This is the effect of even casual exposure to Windows: brain rot.

DrGeoffrey is also very right about performance. Stick Vector Linux 7 on the same box and watch it fly.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!