Good step. Needs work.

Story: Linus Torvalds Starts Liking Gnome 3Total Replies: 3
Author Content
montezuma

Dec 03, 2011
10:30 AM EDT
The extension site seems to be the result of feedback on the LWN website. Kudos to the gnome developers (at least some of them) for paying attention to users at last.

Having said that I must say that it is easy to get into a tangle trying all these out. There are unexpected interactions and bugs so be prepared to fiddle. I have a tolerable desktop though now....

The other problem is breakage as new versions of gnome appear. Analogous to firefox and chrome extensions
BernardSwiss

Dec 03, 2011
9:31 PM EDT
Quoting: Having said that I must say that it is easy to get into a tangle trying all these out. There are unexpected interactions and bugs so be prepared to fiddle. I have a tolerable desktop though now....

The other problem is breakage as new versions of gnome appear. Analogous to firefox and chrome extensions

And this is better than human-readable, text-based config files, how, again?

montezuma

Dec 04, 2011
9:53 AM EDT
Well it is quicker /sarcasm

Seriously though I don't mind text config files either although their location and format needs to be well documented and that is sometimes not the case in linux.
BernardSwiss

Dec 04, 2011
7:44 PM EDT
Not to mention, you can still have a GUI front end for those text-based config files.. The GUI is great for the easy/common stuff, and fiddling the text file for "tweaking" it just so.

For example:

I tend to swap in xscreensaver for gnome-screensaver for just this reason; there's a number of screensavers that I like, especially if I can just adjust them beyond the options or ranges offered by the settings dialogues. Xscreensaver recognizes this, and has an "advanced" mode that let's you set CLI options, AND if you really want, you can manually edit a dot-file in your home directory (which can also be easily copied to other systems).

I much prefer this to the gnome-screensaver approach: either:

1) We've set each screensaver up the precise way any sane person would want it, so forget about making run it faster or slower, display more, fewer or different colours, animate more or fewer active objects, or whatever... take what you're given, and be just grateful we let you adjust the time-outs and power settings

2) manually fiddle with xml files in /usr (invoke su/sudo. and you did remember to back them up first, right?).

And oh yeah -- remember, gnome-screensaver actually uses the very same "hacks" and the same config-files that xscreensaver does. Sheesh!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!