Advertising sucks!

Story: CNet's Download.com Caught Adding Malware to Nmap & Other SoftwareTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
cmost

Dec 17, 2011
3:28 PM EDT
Look, I understand that advertising pays the bills. What advertisers (and companies who bundle ads or adware with applications) fail to understand is that we users are sick and tired of ads!! Personally, I don't even notice ads anymore. My brain has learned to simply filter them out completely. Moreover, as a Linux/FOSS user, I no longer use proprietary software and feel no need whatsoever to deal with the strings attached to so called freeware or other such bloatware infested cr@p. Advertisers take note: your target audience is reaching its breaking point.
BernardSwiss

Dec 17, 2011
9:11 PM EDT
I want to thank henke54 for drawing this to our attention.

I still sometimes help friends with their Windows computers, but otherwise pay relatively little attention to the Windows ecosystem. In fact, just last night I downloaded LibraOffice for a friend's Vista system, but fortunately I went straight to the LibraOffice site. If Download.com had been higher on the search results, I would have believed CNet's Download.com to be a safe place from which to acquire LibreOffice, or any other necessary item such as AVG, ZoneAlarm, Spybot S&D, AdAware, MalwareBytes, etc. (the kind of stuff I usually have handy on a USB drive as my "Windows Survival Kit").

And I shall forward this article to every Windows user I know -- especially those who don't rely on my help.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!