Does anyone have the source code for the Wolvix Control Panel (WCP)?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 22
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 18, 2011
8:00 PM EDT
Does anyone have, or know where I can find, the source code for the Wolvix Control Panel from the now dead distro? I'd also like any bits and pieces of code that were called by WCP.

Thanks in advance for any help. -Cait
jdixon

Dec 18, 2011
9:22 PM EDT
Caitlyn, did you check the VMware virtual machine image for Wolvix 1.1.0 at Sourceforge? I have no idea if it includes the source code or not, but I'm downloading it now.
caitlyn

Dec 18, 2011
9:38 PM EDT
I haven't. I'll try and grab it tomorrow. I do have a Wolvix 1.1.0 CD but it has no source :(
jdixon

Dec 18, 2011
9:59 PM EDT
OK, the good news is that after much Googling, it looks like the University of Crete has the full source tree for Wolvix 2.0.0:

http://her.gr.distfiles.macports.org/pub/dist/wolvix/wolvix-...

The bad news is that the control panel may be a separate item and not in that source tree. It's in the wolvix subdirectory of the packages tree, and there is no wolvix subdirectory in the source tree. :(

The Wolvix site at http://wolvix.oithona.com/wolvix.html has the control panel as a separate download, but again that's the package and there doesn't seem to be any source code there.

I have both the VMware image and the iso image downloading. They should finish some time tonight. I'll see what they contain and let you know.
caitlyn

Dec 19, 2011
12:37 AM EDT
Since Oithona's website is still up hopefully her e-mail address still works. I dropped her a note asking if the source was still available.

I already have the iso image of the last 2.0 beta. Sadly, there is no source code there. I don't expect any in the VMWare image, either, but I appreciate you checking for me.
caitlyn

Dec 19, 2011
2:15 AM EDT
One more thought: Ultima Linux also used WCP, but I can't find it anywhere and the website is gone.
jdixon

Dec 19, 2011
7:16 AM EDT
Yeah, the iso image doesn't seem to include the source. :( I doubt the virtual machine will either, but I'll try to find time to check it out tonight if you don't beat me to it.

I'm not sure why the source for the control panel doesn't seem to be in the source tree.
lcafiero

Dec 19, 2011
9:11 PM EDT
caitlyn --

On a different issue, I've been in touch recently with Kenneth Granerud, aka Wolven (Kenneth was the lead developer of Wolvix). Sadly, in short, that distro atrophied after he became a family man and couldn't keep it up, though recently he said he'd like to get back to it sometime. If you e-mail me at larry-at-socallinuxexpo-dot-org, I can put you in touch with him. If he doesn't have the source code himself, he may know who does.

If I remember correctly, the control panel for Wolvix was outstanding.
jdixon

Dec 19, 2011
11:10 PM EDT
OK, Caitlyn, my VMware version isn't up to date enough to run the image. :( I'm downloading the latest 1.x version, but I won't have time to install it tonight, and I'll be leaving to go on a trip tomorrow. I won't get back till next Monday.

So I won't be able to check the image for you, at least not till next week. However, given it's size, I doubt it has the source code either. I think your best bet is probably talking to Kenneth via Larry.
caitlyn

Dec 20, 2011
5:37 PM EDT
I sent Larry an e-mail and hopefully he'll get back to me soon. jdixon: I really appreciate your efforts.

As you've probably guessed I'd like to update/adapt WCP to another distro in development. It was a very nicely done piece of code.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 20, 2011
5:37 PM EDT
The Wolvix Control Panel is remarkably good ...
number6x

Dec 20, 2011
5:46 PM EDT
I checked some of my old CD's. No source for this. I may have an old HD from a de-commisioned desktop in my basement. I won't be able to get to it 'til after the holidays (too much seafood to prepare right now).

That HD had debian and wolvix on it for several years. That would be the only place I would have source packages for wolvix.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 20, 2011
5:48 PM EDT
Wolvix was my favorite Slackware-based distro. It pretty much matched my workflow, including everything I needed.
caitlyn

Dec 20, 2011
5:56 PM EDT
Nowadays I'm fond of SalixOS and I am rapidly becoming fond of VectorLinux 7.0 again. Having a 64-bit version getting close to release made me reconsider that distro.

Wolvix, as a whole, was very nicely done, at least in versions 1.0.5 and 1.1.0. It's a pity 2.0.0 never got finished. Another Slackware based distro I really, really liked was AliXe, which has also gone by the wayside.

For those who wonder what the @#!& Steven and I are talking about, here are two of my old reviews for O'Reilly:

AliXe 0.11b: http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2008/01/alixe_011b_linu... Wolvix 1.1.0: http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/wolvix_110_a_ve...
caitlyn

Dec 20, 2011
9:38 PM EDT
OK, I've got the source. It's all python scripts, nothing compiled, so it is in the package at Oithona's website. Thanks for all the help!
gus3

Dec 20, 2011
9:43 PM EDT
Yay!
lcafiero

Dec 20, 2011
9:44 PM EDT
SalixOS is one of my favorites, and I'll be talking about it briefly during my presentation at SCALE (shameless plug). You have to hand it to the Slack-based distros -- through some kind of Volkerdingian magic it seems much faster than the others.
gus3

Dec 20, 2011
10:45 PM EDT
"Volkerdingian," a near-portmanteau of "Voldemort" and "Merovingian."

Heh. Who knew?
lcafiero

Dec 20, 2011
10:49 PM EDT
I didn't realize that, gus3, but now that you mention it . . . . :-)
jdixon

Dec 21, 2011
12:52 AM EDT
> Duh. So the package is the source. :)
caitlyn

Dec 21, 2011
12:55 AM EDT
Yep, jdixon. I should have thought of that earlier. I feel more than a little stupid.

The good news: it shouldn't be too hard to modify the various tools, and I'm not just talking about branding. Imagine the installer working properly with ext4 and xfs, for example :)
caitlyn

Dec 22, 2011
12:10 AM EDT
Final note: I did exchange e-mails with Chris (Oithona) and got some additional useful information about what works and what doesn't work in the last WCP development code, which is what I have. I think I'm in good shape moving forward. Thanks to everyone who tried to help with this. It really is appreciated.
oithona

Jan 03, 2012
4:03 PM EDT
Caitlyn Just a quick correction ... at my age slinking around the internet is daunting enough without having to worry about my gender. An easy enough mistake as Oithona was a legendary Celtic princess in a poem by James MacPherson. I take my online name, however from a less legendary creature - http://www.aslo.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/952/title/... - and although this particular example is female, I'm not :)

Hope you are able to make use of the WCP, and as I said, let me know if anything useful emerges.

Regards

Chris (oithona)

You cannot post until you login.