Upgraded

Story: Download Firefox 9.0 Final for LinuxTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 20, 2011
5:45 PM EDT
SalixOS had their Firefox 9 packages in the repository this morning. (Kudos to the SalixOS developers, as always.) The good news is that right clicking and opening in a new tab is working properly again. In Firefox 8 the second or third window opened in a new browser for no apparent reason and then additional tabs went to that window. The bad news is that at least one (admittedly specialized) add-on I use is broken now and there appear to be other interesting quirks.

I am so sick and tired of the Firefox upgrade treadmill. This release early and often policy Mozilla has adopted is getting me to use other browsers more and more and Firefox less and less. If it wasn't for some plugins and add-ons I'd have jumped ship entirely.
number6x

Dec 20, 2011
5:52 PM EDT
Salix is the derivative of Zenwalk(renee mini-slack), correct?

I used to use zenwalk on an old ibm thinkpad. It was sweet. I'll have to give Salix a spin.
caitlyn

Dec 20, 2011
6:20 PM EDT
No, SalixOS is a Slackware derivative. Some of the developers used to be developers for Zenwalk but they didn't bring anything from Zenwalk into SalixOS.
tracyanne

Dec 20, 2011
6:27 PM EDT
I'll just wait until it auto upgrades on my Linux installs, and my windows install. For me that is hardly a treadmill. For me it's no different than getting security updates, before they went to the new accelerated versioning.
caitlyn

Dec 20, 2011
6:33 PM EDT
ta: Please don't misunderstand me. The upgrade process in SalixOS is automated as well. The issue is that each new version I run into new bugs and breakage. I didn't have that with the old system nearly as often.
tracyanne

Dec 20, 2011
7:02 PM EDT
Sorry to hear that caitlyn. Once again I don't appear to have the problems others have. For me it really is FF upgrade followed by check Addons, followed by use as usual. Other than the occasional Addon not working it's completely unproblematic.
caitlyn

Dec 20, 2011
8:19 PM EDT
Maybe it has to do with the websites I visit regularly. I don't know.
Koriel

Dec 20, 2011
10:18 PM EDT
Just updated to 9 no problems here.

If folks have problems with plugins being disabled just use the Firefox Compatibility plugin which will allow you to use your existing disabled plugins again and report if they are still working or not.

Works a treat for me.
BernardSwiss

Dec 20, 2011
10:48 PM EDT
I'm still using Firefox 3.6.

For the next few weeks I'm using Ubuntu (Lucid/10.04 LTS), as I shan't get around to replacing the motherboard on my Debian box till after the holidays -- and Free Geek is still doing Ubuntu systems, so getting some longer-term, day-to-day familiarity is a good idea, anyways.

But in either case, I'll be using "old" Firefox (or Iceweasel) versions, unless there's actually some reason to go to the extra trouble. On friends/relatives Windows boxes, that I "help" with, I generally insist on upgrading to the latest version, but on Linux boxes, is it really necessary?

(When this goes back to being my "tinkering" box, I'll probably do it just so I can honestly tell FreeGeek "clients" that I've done it on a system of my own at home -- a system exactly like theirs -- and it's really that easy, if it matters to them (it mostly won't).)

GERGE

Dec 21, 2011
1:48 AM EDT
In a web browser that is widely used (read as a browser acting like a magnet for the attacks) using the last version is always needed, I think. If you don't want to update you should check alternatives like Opera.
HoTMetaL

Dec 21, 2011
4:19 AM EDT
I'm still on 3.6 and will stay on it until it isn't supported by security patches. What critical feature does FF9 have that 3.6 doesn't? Seriously. I'm with caitlyn here. The inflated versioning scheme and upgrade treadmill is completely annoying. I've never used Chrome, but I've had my eye on it lately.
djohnston

Dec 21, 2011
4:05 PM EDT
Quoting:The bad news is that at least one (admittedly specialized) add-on I use is broken now and there appear to be other interesting quirks.

Got the update for PCLinuxOS this morning and am running it now. I saw the writing on the wall with the version "upgrade" from 7 to 8. At that time, I decided to edit the xpi files for the two addons that wouldn't upgrade. Edited the maximum allowable version to 20.0 on both, and this time they upgraded painlessly. Maybe that will hold me until the end of next year.

I don't see the point of these major revision numbers. To keep up with Chrome's numbering scheme? It's useless.
caitlyn

Dec 22, 2011
12:26 AM EDT
I'm liking Midori more and more all the time.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!