Retarded Machismo

Story: Suicide Linux, Not for the Faint HeartTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
montezuma

Dec 25, 2011
1:38 PM EDT
I find a big problem with linux/unix users is their uncommunicative macho insecurity. Part of software use and advocacy is communicating and helping other less experienced users and writing documentation. This "rugged" mentality is just stupid.

Now I am the first to recognise that there are lazy entitled parasitic users out there who will not RTFM but carrying on like an immature 6 year old ain't the way to go.

Using the terminal should be a productive hassle free experience not a joyride from hell.

/rant
ComputerBob

Dec 25, 2011
1:48 PM EDT
Choosing to drive without wearing a seatbelt might be considered "macho."

This is more like driving without a seatbelt and mounting a huge, pointed spike in the middle of the steering wheel.

For future recipients of the Linux Darwin Awards.
jacog

Dec 25, 2011
4:15 PM EDT
No, retarded is getting bent out of shape over something that's obviously intended as humour. The creator is not actually expecting anyone to use it. It was made purely so that the rest of us can say "here's a crazy thing that now exists".

It's humour.
montezuma

Dec 25, 2011
5:03 PM EDT
Likely humour I agree however my point stands. And I am not bent out of shape by it just irritated
ABCC

Dec 25, 2011
7:13 PM EDT
You could also try playing some russian roulette:

# if [ $(( $RANDOM % 6 )) -eq "0" ]: then rm -rf / ;fi
jhansonxi

Dec 26, 2011
1:37 PM EDT
Take it to the next level by adding some external digital I/O support and a block of thermite.
lcafiero

Dec 26, 2011
1:59 PM EDT
jacog -- Humor? Maybe. Stupid? Absolutely. You would think that the author would have better things to do with his time.
jacog

Dec 27, 2011
1:41 AM EDT
Stupid is a perfectly valid form of humour.
theBeez

Dec 27, 2011
2:45 AM EDT
Can't we make a Windows version and sell it to OEMs?
jdixon

Dec 27, 2011
11:39 AM EDT
> Can't we make a Windows version and sell it to OEMs?

Only for versions which include the Power Shell. But yes, I'm sure they would go for that. Extra revenue, you know.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!