Consolidation and alternatives would change list

Story: 13 weird and wonderful niche Linux distrosTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
vainrveenr

Jan 02, 2012
8:40 PM EDT
Arguably, the author could have effectively consolidated the "Umpteen Ubuntu remixes", Mikebuntu, and Bodhi into Ubuntu-based distros, instead of teasing them apart. It could even be something of a stretch as well -- although reasonably so -- to consolidate Ubuntu Satanic Edition and Sabily/Ubuntu Christian into highly unusual Ubuntu variants.

Perhaps Arch Linux would be a better alternative to Gentoo, especially given the former's very high popularity on DistroWatch.com compared to the latter's (justifiably so?) and given their remarkably close contemporaneous existence with one another (any parallel development whatsoever?) --- see their DistroWatch.com 'More [distro name] news...' release histories found at http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=arch and at http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=gentoo

Part of the author's description of Gentoo seems to confirm this conjecture:
Quoting:That's [the DIY aspect of Gentoo is] not just the apps - it's the whole thing, including the kernel and all the other bits of your current distro that most people take for granted. The point of this is that if your Linux distro is compiled for your exact hardware, it should be possible to wring every last drop of performance from your kit. You just need to make sure that you have a large supply of coffee to hand before you attempt to install it.

Indeed, the DistroWatch.com description found at http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=arch reveals surprisingly similar features for Arch Linux as for Gentoo:
Quoting:Arch Linux is an independently developed, i686- and x86_64-optimised Linux distribution targeted at competent Linux users. It uses 'pacman', its home-grown package manager, to provide updates to the latest software applications with full dependency tracking. Operating on a rolling release system, Arch can be installed from a CD image or via an FTP server. The default install provides a solid base that enables users to create a custom installation. In addition, the Arch Build System (ABS) provides a way to easily build new packages, modify the configuration of stock packages, and share these packages with other users via the Arch Linux user repository.

One can wonder why the author has essentially ignored the "wierd and wonderful" ecosystem of Arch Linux including its much newer derivatives ??

lcafiero

Jan 02, 2012
8:58 PM EDT
I would think that Bodhi would stand on its own, but I would agree that some of the others could have been folded into the "umpteen Ubuntu remixes," including the religious *buntus and Mikebuntu (huh?). Again, a list like this is going to omit something, and I have several that could have fit on this list *cough* CrunchBang *cough* as well.
caitlyn

Jan 02, 2012
11:04 PM EDT
Meh. I could list 20 more that many people have never heard of and do interesting things.
tuppp

Jan 03, 2012
3:49 AM EDT
vainrveenr wrote:Perhaps Arch Linux would be a better alternative to Gentoo, given the former's recent existence of less than four years and given the former's very high popularity on DistroWatch.com compared to the latter's (justifiably so?)

Huh?

Arch is older than Gentoo.

Arch first release: March 11, 2002.

Gentoo first release: March 31, 2002.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 03, 2012
1:55 PM EDT
I'll take a shot across the bow..Debian Net Install..all else is a fork.

;-)

vainrveenr

Jan 03, 2012
2:01 PM EDT
Quoting:Arch first release: March 11, 2002.

Gentoo first release: March 31, 2002.

Looking back in hindsight, it seems quite remarkable that less than 500 hours separated one's first release from the other's.

Steven_Rosenber

Jan 04, 2012
12:11 AM EDT
If a project has developers who want to work on it, then it will exist.

Think of it as,

I code, therefore I am

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!