Actually somewhat directly of FOSS interest

Story: How Many Lumia Sales? As Nokia (and Microsoft) ashamed to reveal number, lets count..Total Replies: 4
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Feb 01, 2012
1:31 AM EDT
Full (un-truncated) article title:

How Many Lumia Sales? As Nokia (and Microsoft) ashamed to reveal number, lets count - and compare to N9 MeeGo sales

By my (admittedly rough) estimate at least a third of the article is about how and why the N9 with Meego is outperforming the Lumina about three to one, despite the game being rigged in a number of ways to favour the Lumina.

So of course Nokia refuses to sell the already developed N950 variant -- anywhere!

Of course, should I just suggest that FOSS or "Linux" are often artificially or covertly barred from real participation in a genuine "free market" -- ie. one in which what is made and sold and even available for purchase is determined by customer preferences rather than corporate and monopoly power -- I'm assumed to be some sort of conspiracy theorist or "Linux fan-boy". Should I suggest that blatantly dirty tricks are being employed I am assumed to be hopelessly naive.

But hey, I'm sure that there's perfectly sensible, legitimate reasons for a major company to push a badly losing technology (which they depend on someone else for), while simultaneously killing off a clearly successful one of their own.

gus3

Feb 01, 2012
6:46 AM EDT
Why else would Ballmer install Elop at Nokia? Subversion from inside flies under the radar; external buyouts tend to garner unwanted attention.
TxtEdMacs

Feb 01, 2012
10:06 AM EDT
Swiss Cheese,

Thank you, I was about to post nearly the same content, until I saw your topic line.

I doubt it will happen, but it seems if this blog is noted by some with significant financial investment in this firm it might be the basis for the forced removal of Elop for not performing his fiscal duties for the company that is his official employer. [Advice, don't hold your breath awaiting such action, the more likely scenario is that entity getting favorable terms for an under the table buy out.]

As always,

YBT
dinotrac

Feb 01, 2012
10:15 AM EDT
@txt --

Are you suggesting that alpine buddy has holes in his head?

Rude, though might explain a lot!

Must dash for cover...
TxtEdMacs

Feb 01, 2012
10:40 AM EDT
dino,

Actually it was a compliment, because I perceive him (assumption) as a person with good taste as it is confirmed by the over all intelligence reflected in the comments published under that name.

Scurrying to your protective, temporary abode to avoid my wrath actually will do you little good. You see I know your approximate dimensions, hence, there is a finite limit to where you might hide from me. However, I actually I care little, since it is more fulfilling to watch you run than doing you physical harm. So I am content with our status quo.

As always,

YBT

[Mostly serious]

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!