What's really weird

Story: Death of IE6 still greatly exaggerated, says browser hit squadTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Khamul

Feb 02, 2012
8:07 PM EDT
What's really weird is that these cr@ppy CRM/ERP companies haven't updated their cr@ppy products to work on newer browsers. How do they expect to get any new customers with such a poor product, and especially after XP is no longer supported?
mrider

Feb 02, 2012
8:20 PM EDT
They expect to make money on their existing customers by forcing them to pay again for CRM/ERP version n+1 where the +1 is "works with something other than I.E. 6.0".
Khamul

Feb 02, 2012
10:20 PM EDT
@mrider: That would make sense, except that it's been years since IE6 was declared "dead" and their products apparently still require it. If they haven't figured out how to move away from IE6 by now, I don't think they're going to within the next year.

Unless they already have, and the customers are refusing to upgrade because of the cost, but if that were the case, then these ex-Redmond guys with their "Browsium" company shouldn't have much of a business, because then it comes down to two choices, upgrade your CRM/ERP application ($$$), or buy this Browsium software to avoid the upgrade ($$$) and then be stuck with old, out-of-date, unsupported software.
mrider

Feb 03, 2012
12:25 PM EDT
I'm not saying that the plan I outlined is the only plan, but it sure is one of their plans. We're still stuck on I.E. 6 where I work specifically because the dumb bunnies in management specified I.E. 6 compatibility when speccing our systems. (I argued against it at every opportunity and lost the argument).

I know it's happening, because it's happening where I work.
jhansonxi

Feb 03, 2012
1:07 PM EDT
Considering that the company mentioned has an IE6 compatibility module for newer IE versions, I wonder how much work it would be to make the same for a Linux-compatible browser (or even OS X).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!