Nice Summary

Story: Kubuntu 12.04 Alpha 2 With KDE Plasma Netbook - Overview & ScreenshotsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Fettoosh

Feb 17, 2012
11:16 AM EDT
Very nice summary and I have couple comments.

• 1. It would be helpful to mention that the Plasma Netbook interface comes already installed and is available as an option even in the desktop interface. One can switch between Plasma Desktop & Netbook interface by going to "Settings" => "System Settings" => then under "Workspace Appearance & Behavior" select "Workspace Behavior" => Workspace => then select "Netbook" from dropdown "Workspace Type"
  • 2. One cosmetic issue is the closing tags of the lists are missing

Jeff91

Feb 17, 2012
4:26 PM EDT
'going to "Settings" => "System Settings" => then under "Workspace Appearance & Behavior" select "Workspace Behavior" => Workspace => then select "Netbook" from dropdown "Workspace Type" '

Whew! I thought E17 used too many nested settings xD.

~Jeff
Fettoosh

Feb 17, 2012
6:49 PM EDT
Quoting:Whew! I thought E17 used too many nested settings xD.

This isn't something users do that often and It could be made as one click using a short cut or script, but for better organization of the unprecedented level of KDE configuration, it is included in the group it belongs to.

Besides, switching interface on the fly without reboot or re-login, E17 or any other desktop for that matter, have no such capability. Not even in their dreams.

gus3

Feb 17, 2012
10:02 PM EDT
Fettoosh wrote:switching interface on the fly without reboot or re-login, E17 or any other desktop for that matter, have no such capability. Not even in their dreams.
I beg to differ. Metacity and several other window managers have the "--replace" option, which allows the user to terminate the current WM and replace it with a new one.

And yes, I know I'm not talking about a full Desktop Environment. But some of us prefer a highly-customizable WM that obviates the need for all that extra desktop flotsam and jetsam. (Yay Sawfish! Yay Lisp!)
cr

Feb 18, 2012
1:07 AM EDT
Whatth that aboout Lithp?
Fettoosh

Feb 18, 2012
11:40 AM EDT
Quoting:And yes, I know I'm not talking about a full Desktop Environment. But ...

You are right, and below is a snippet of what its developer said about it. But my point was about how features rich, extensible, yet organized KDE has become. Many users consider such wealth a big advantage over simplicity and lack of functionality. Besides, many of the features and capabilities don't stand in the way, and if they are not needed or used, users won't even notice them.

Quoting: Edited: From wikipedia

Metacity's focus is on simplicity and usability rather than novelties. Its author has characterized it as a "Boring window manager for the adult in you. Many window managers are like Marshmallow Froot Loops; Metacity is like Cheerios."[4] People in favour of Metacity say that it is aimed at new computer users who do not need the abundant options and functionality of Sawfish or Enlightenment.[5] Havoc Pennington wrote an essay explaining why he wrote Metacity and simplified the GNOME desktop.[6] Devil's Pie and Brightside are among the packages that enable increased control over windows, however these applications cannot override Metacity's key bindings.
Khamul

Feb 18, 2012
2:11 PM EDT
Quoting:Besides, many of the features and capabilities don't stand in the way, and if they are not needed or used, users won't even notice them.

Exactly: how often are you going to switch between desktop mode and netbook mode anyway? It's probably a one-time change for the people who actually use it, and then they leave in that mode forever.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!