Dark Duck is lost in the dark on this one

Story: Unity, GNOME3, Windows 8 and… jumping ratsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Apr 03, 2012
5:00 PM EDT
Somebody needs a refresher course in desktop history. OS/2 had the model we use today years before Windows '95. Similarly, the Unity. GNOME 3, MacOS and Windows 8 desktop paradigm started in 2007 with Xandros Presto! on the Asus EeePC, quickly followed by Linpus Lite. If you don't like the new paradigm blame Linux on netbooks because that's where it all started.

Oh, and the users have decided. They overwhelmingly don't like the new paradigm on Linux. Ubuntu doesn't care and neither do the GNOME developers. Their target audience isn't the current user base. So... the users don't get to decide no matter how much Dark Duck wants them to.

You know, this whole post could be summarized in one sentence: Dark Duck doesn't like complaints about the new desktop paradigm so the complainers should all just shut up. Hmmm... I don't see that happening.
r_a_trip

Apr 04, 2012
4:57 AM EDT
Well, users are deciding right now. And eventually the users will quiet down. Why waste a lot of breath on a project that you don't use anymore.

Gnome is pursuing something different because it is different and different is better. Canonical is trying to shape itself into a hip company, Apple-style, but failing to realize they are still just making a distro. Now a distro with an awkward, unwanted interface.

The system is already in motion towards a new equilibrium. It will be interesting to see which distro will be the darling in two years time. It will be interesting to see how many distro's ship with Gnome 3 technologies under the default desktop.

We'll also see a lot of comments and articles about how the "Linux community" eat their own. How a few vocal luddites killed Ubuntu and Gnome 3 Shell. It will never be the fault of the extremely poor design decisions the Gnome project and Canonical made.

I'm making sure to stack up on microwave popcorn around the release time of Windows 8. That will be a very interesting thing to see. It's one thing for a niche project to commit suicide, but the dominant software vendor?
Jeff91

Apr 04, 2012
9:43 AM EDT
Anyone still complaining about Gnome3/Unity changes needs to simmer down and just go install KDE/LXDE/E17/XFCE/some other sane desktop GUI.

~Jeff
Khamul

Apr 04, 2012
9:58 AM EDT
As long as Canonical keeps putting itself out there as the premier Linux distro, and even has the gall to claim Debian as part of its "ecosystem" (rather than the other way around), I think all complaints are perfectly valid.
ComputerBob

Apr 04, 2012
10:20 AM EDT
Quoting:Anyone still complaining about Gnome3/Unity changes needs to simmer down and just go install KDE/LXDE/E17/XFCE/some other sane desktop GUI.
Or go back to Windows or MacOS?

See if you feel the same way after you get several decades of experience under your belt. Criticism and complaint should be valued parts of any sane development process.
darkduck

Apr 04, 2012
10:37 AM EDT
@ caitlyn:
Quoting:Dark Duck doesn't like complaints about the new desktop paradigm so the complainers should all just shut up.
Not exactly. I'd summarize "Criticise constructively, and let others think out-of-the box". In terms of parable, if you don't understand why you need to wait for the cheese to go down, don't stop others from jumping.

@Jeff91 Rare case, again, when I agree with you.
r_a_trip

Apr 05, 2012
7:34 AM EDT
Who is stopping who? Anyone willing to subject themselves to Gnome Shell is free to do so.

The advice from Jeff is sound. I've switched to KDE. Am I happy with that? Within limits. I wasn't planning on going to KDE. Then again, I think Gnome 3 is a lost cause and life is too short to yell at deaf ears.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!