Nope Wrong Again, It is an Apple problem.

Story: Mac Virus Is Actually Oracle Java Security HoleTotal Replies: 42
Author Content
Koriel

Apr 07, 2012
10:33 AM EDT
Was fixed months ago by Oracle on other platforms but Apple didn't release a fix until now, Apple produce their own Java runtime.

Apple also stopped releasing updates for their own runtime with the release of Lion so only one group to blame for this and its called Apple.
caitlyn

Apr 07, 2012
2:03 PM EDT
Koriel, you are forgetting that for Mac fans Apple cannot be criticized. One dares not criticize the holiness of Apple.
dinotrac

Apr 07, 2012
2:24 PM EDT
Careful, @caitlyn --

Rumor has it that the Lords of Cupertino have unleashed a posse of child laborers from the Foxconn factory to have a little "discussion" with you.
Koriel

Apr 07, 2012
4:53 PM EDT
Not really getting at Apple, more the shoddy journalism where just a little bit of fact checking goes a long way.

I mean how difficult is it to go here http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Oracle have even put it in bold text and i quote:

Apple supplies their own version of Java. Use the Software Update feature (available on the Apple menu) to check that you have the most up-to-date version of Java for your Mac.
gus3

Apr 07, 2012
6:17 PM EDT
@dino:

That shouldn't be difficult for her to deal with. Just offer them all the latkes, matzoh balls, and chicken soup they can eat.
dinotrac

Apr 07, 2012
9:26 PM EDT
@g3 --

Hmmm. Fatten them up for the kill...

(Must stop watching Grimm and Once Upon a Time)
caitlyn

Apr 08, 2012
8:20 PM EDT
@gus3: You're forgetting the dark chocolate covered matzos. I don't make them; I buy them, but they are to die for. I do bake a mean kosher for Passover cake or two, though. Gotta have dessert :)
Bob_Robertson

Apr 09, 2012
3:55 PM EDT
Caitlyn, I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of "un-levened cake".
number6x

Apr 09, 2012
4:00 PM EDT
think brownies, fudge brownies.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 09, 2012
4:06 PM EDT
I can't get Chinese moon cakes out of my mind for this.
number6x

Apr 09, 2012
4:13 PM EDT
Moon cakes are September. Lion dance time!
caitlyn

Apr 09, 2012
7:17 PM EDT
There are wonderful cakes and cookies and, yes, brownies that don't need to rise. I also really like egg kichel, little air filled, light, crunchy, sugary almost pastry like things. Passover is a celebration of freedom. It's a perfect time to come up with all sorts of tasty treats without violating the traditions and rules of the holiday :)
gus3

Apr 09, 2012
8:42 PM EDT
Kind of like a Greek Orthodox fast for Lent: nothing from anything with a backbone (most meat, no eggs, no dairy) and no alcohol (just a good idea once in a while). Oddly, this includes olive oil (traditionally filtered through leather), but other plant oils are OK. Herbs, spices, and seasonings make up the perceived deficit.

Like iambic pentameter in a Shakespearean sonnet, it's amazing what restriction can do for creativity.
jdixon

Apr 09, 2012
8:58 PM EDT
> Oddly, this includes olive oil (traditionally filtered through leather), but other plant oils are OK.

I'd think if you squeezed the olive oil yourself and didn't use leather it would be allowed. But what do I know.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 10, 2012
11:26 AM EDT
"nothing from anything with a backbone"

My first reaction, "Hotdogs don't have backbones".

Seriously, that means sea cucumbers are OK, but as far as I know only the Japanese eat them. Ick. I'd rather go vegan.
Fettoosh

Apr 10, 2012
11:46 AM EDT
Quoting:I'd rather go vegan.

Greeks going vegan, are you kidding? And who is going to keep the sheep population under control?!

Bob_Robertson

Apr 10, 2012
1:13 PM EDT
"And who is going to keep the sheep population under control?!"

Scotsmen?
Fettoosh

Apr 10, 2012
2:36 PM EDT
Quoting:Scotsmen?

Don't they just shear them for Kilts?

Bob_Robertson

Apr 10, 2012
3:19 PM EDT
"Da-a-a-ady!"
Koriel

Apr 10, 2012
4:48 PM EDT
As a Scot we just use them for the kilts, haggis and the odd stew or stovies, It's the Welsh that have the sheep and welly issues :)
tracyanne

Apr 10, 2012
6:11 PM EDT
Quoting:It's the Welsh that have the sheep and welly issues :)

and I alway thought it was the Kiwis.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 11, 2012
9:41 AM EDT
As with most of Western "civilization", it started with the Greeks.
Fettoosh

Apr 11, 2012
11:02 AM EDT
Quoting:As with most of Western "civilization", it started with the Greeks.

Check your history my friend. All civilizations started with the Phoenicians. Didn't they teach all how to read & write and cross oceans?

dinotrac

Apr 11, 2012
11:08 AM EDT
But it was the Bangles who taught people to walk like an Egyptian.
Khamul

Apr 11, 2012
9:32 PM EDT
I don't think so; civilization arose independently in 4 different places: the Indus River valley (India), the Yellow River valley (China), the Nile river valley (Egypt), and the Tigris-Euphrates river valley (Iraq).
jdixon

Apr 11, 2012
11:26 PM EDT
> ...civilization arose independently in 4 different places...

That we know of.
gus3

Apr 12, 2012
6:26 AM EDT
On this planet, anyway.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 12, 2012
10:32 AM EDT
Depending on your definition of "civilization".

Wasn't there an archeological find recently of what looks like a ring of stones depicting what could only be termed a "garden of eden" in one of the driest parts of Turkey? Dating from right about the end of the last ice-age, when the area would have been lush and verdant?

Anyway, farming sure changed the character of human society, and cultivation is what really came to define those four places.
Khamul

Apr 12, 2012
3:10 PM EDT
Farming was a bad thing for human health actually. Jared Diamond wrote a book about it IIRC. People used to be much taller before agriculture was invented, generally as tall as they are now. Then they invented agriculture, and average heights dropped greatly, along with health in general. It's taken this long (as agriculture was invented around 10k years ago) for humans to get back to the health and height they used to have. Health-wise, humans were far better off in hunter-gatherer societies. They only invented farming because resources in the wild were running out and they couldn't sustain the H-G lifestyle any longer.
dinotrac

Apr 12, 2012
3:18 PM EDT
@khamul -

Few people know that the real problem with height was that it took 10,000 years to perfect overalls with the right length shoulder straps.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 12, 2012
3:19 PM EDT
Khamul,

Humans tend not to want to participate in the natural die-off which occurs when a population overnumbers the ability of the environment to sustain it.

Stephen Molyneux put together a YouTube on that aspect of human nature, called "The Story Of Your Enslavement", quite good.

It's been suggested that "intelligence" may very well not be a long-term survival trait. I expect I won't live long enough to find out.
Khamul

Apr 12, 2012
3:31 PM EDT
@Bob: considering how long humans have been around, and how they utterly dominate the planet and the food chain, and how many there are today, I'd say intelligence has absolutely been a long-term survival trait. Whether it's good for the planet as a whole of course is debatable, but for humans it's been a "killer feature". There's no other animals our size I'm aware of where there's over 7 billion of them, many of them (in the developed world at least) living into old age instead of dying early, and that don't have to worry about any predators.

The reason human health took such a toll with agriculture was because of a lack of protein in the diet, and too much monoculture (which is a problem in software too!). Just eating rice isn't healthy, as much as the vegans refuse to believe it; we're omnivores and need a lot of protein in our diet, particularly when we're young and growing, and the easiest way to get that is to kill a wild animal and eat its flesh. Farming did provide some animal flesh (from domesticated animals like cattle and sheep), but not in the quantity that our H-G ancestors got, particularly for those at the bottom of the social structure. Not having a varied diet was also really bad.
Koriel

Apr 12, 2012
7:24 PM EDT
I'm with Douglas Adams in that I believe the tree's were a bad move :)
jezuch

Apr 13, 2012
1:41 AM EDT
Quoting:Whether it's good for the planet as a whole of course is debatable

That's the point, I think. A good virus doesn't kill its host. We're not even a good virus in that respect.
Khamul

Apr 13, 2012
2:10 AM EDT
@jezuch: I can't think of many viruses that don't frequently kill their hosts (absent modern medical treatment). The trick is for the host to live long enough for the virus to get what it wants out of it. My understanding is that viruses basically hijack the host's cells, and turn them into little factories to make more viruses. So if the virus can get the host to produce millions of new viruses, which can then go out and infect more hosts, the virus is happy; if the host dies after this, oh well, it's served its purpose to the virus.

We humans are exactly the same. We get what we want out of the planet for our short lives, and if the ecosystem ends up being inhospitable to life after 500 years, who cares? No one alive today is going to be alive by then; it'll be our ancestors' problem. Viruses, similarly, don't worry about killing all their hosts off so that their ancestors don't have any more hosts to use; they can't think that far ahead, they just think about infecting the one host in front of them and fulfilling their desires with it.
henke54

Apr 13, 2012
6:13 AM EDT
dinotrac wrote:Rumor has it that the Lords of Cupertino have unleashed a posse of child laborers from the Foxconn factory to have a little "discussion" with you.

@dinotrac : maybe you meant a posse of child 'drones' instead of 'laborers' : http://www.deondernemer.nl/deondernemer/642004/Kijkje-in-fab...
gus3

Apr 13, 2012
6:34 AM EDT
@Khamul, don't you mean "it'll be our descendants' problem"?
Bob_Robertson

Apr 13, 2012
10:18 AM EDT
Green sells. Tragedy of the Commons problems are solved by private property rights.
Khamul

Apr 13, 2012
2:57 PM EDT
@gus3: Ah yes, that's what I meant.
BernardSwiss

Apr 13, 2012
8:09 PM EDT
@Bob_Robertson

Just because it's Friday the 13th:

Tragedy of the Anticommons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_anticommons
Bob_Robertson

Apr 16, 2012
11:09 AM EDT
dup.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 16, 2012
11:11 AM EDT
Bernard, fascinating idea. I look forward to reading it.

Ah. Well, since the most cogent of their examples is Copyright, and it's been reasserted again that this is a subject beyond the scope of LXer, I will drop it at that lest I get dropped.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 16, 2012
6:36 PM EDT
If you Bob, or anyone else for that matter can create and maintain a dialogue that sticks to the issues of copyright, FOSS and its implications without any partisan political opinions I would love to see it. And I mean that, I really would love to see us finally be able to cross that bridge and stay on the other side..

I would also like to say to everyone in the LXer forums that using our forums to get underneath the skin of someone..anyone to purposefully elicit a negative reaction is in very bad taste as far as I am concerned.

Scott

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!