Just a tiny piece of the picture

Story: Optimize a VPS server for Drupal HostingTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
caitlyn

Apr 09, 2012
1:21 AM EDT
Varnish is a good tool for optimizing Drupal. It's one of several needed to optimize Drupal properly and I'm not convinced it's the most important one. APC does more, IMHO, is a simple installation with little or no configuration needed, and doesn't require additional resources. An optimal Varnish configuration for an enterprise website sits on a separate server. Most Drupal developers work on sites that would choke in the resources he's allocated. 256MB? In 2012? For a Drupal site? No wonder it crashed when he got significant traffic. Guess what? His Varnish implementation isn't enough to change that.
tuxchick

Apr 09, 2012
1:55 AM EDT
Drupal makes me crazy. There is a lot to like-- but out of the box Drupal 7 is a slow pig. And I'm getting tired of new versionitis. 6, 7, 8...please peeps, it's just PHP. Calm down.
caitlyn

Apr 09, 2012
7:12 PM EDT
LOL. I'm managing the mail server and website (and did the web design) for a political campaign in my area. I have Drupal 7 running on a VLS with three times the memory of the person who wrote the article with APC installed and some other optimization done. So far it's running well.

My big gripe with Drupal 7 is that things are done so differently from previous versions yet much of the documentation and tutorials are still all for Drupal 5 and 6 and are no help whatsoever. I get things done right eventually but it's been way too much trial and error. No need to reinvent the wheel on each release, folks.
Khamul

Apr 09, 2012
10:37 PM EDT
No need to reinvent the wheel on each release, folks.

Such thinking is anathema to most software developers these days.
gus3

Apr 09, 2012
10:48 PM EDT
"We never did it that way before."

'Nuff said.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!