What are people's experiences?

Story: Salix MATE 13.37 ReleasedTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
skelband

May 10, 2012
8:07 PM EDT
I'm currently looking around for a replacement for my home Ubuntu box for the family and myself since I am kinda stuck on 11.04. Not even slightly interested in Gnome Shell or Unity. I don't want to change it too much since the family are now used to Gnome 2.

I've looked at Mint (various flavours) and Kubuntu and none of them satisfy me totally. To tell the truth, I wouldn't mind sticking with what I have and so probably MATE is the best bet.

What about Slackware and Salix? Anyone have experiences with it. I am interested as a software developer also.

gus3

May 10, 2012
8:36 PM EDT
Slackware doesn't have GNOME in the stock installation; one gets it via third-party packages. If you are talking about a limited-use system (email, web browsing, and Solitaire), then it's doable. However, I advise you take care to keep the latest package version, when there's a conflict between the stock Slackware and the add-on.

I have Gnome SlackBuild installed, but I don't use it on a regular basis. I use bare Sawfish as my DE, but I keep several available for evenings when I'm bored, or I need to help someone with their own DE.
cmost

May 10, 2012
8:46 PM EDT
As someone who is using MATE I can assure you that v1.2 is very stable and has most if not all of the functionality of the traditional Gnome 2.3x series. Plus, it also supports Compiz. Working in MATE after experiencing Gnome 3.x and Unity was like waking up from a bad dream. Give it a shot; you'll like it!
jdixon

May 10, 2012
9:22 PM EDT
If you like Ubuntu with Gnome 2, take a look at Debian. I just did a Debian neinstall on a machine for testing, and it's amazing how much it looks like Ubuntu 10.04 minus the moved buttons and Ubuntu One.

The machine only has 256MB of memory, so Ubuntu and Mint were non-starters. I wanted to stock to one of the main distributions, so Debian and Slackware were my two main options. And since I may not be the one maintaining it, I decided Debian was probably a better choice.
caitlyn

May 10, 2012
9:25 PM EDT
SalixOS is excellent. I've used the release candidate of the MATE edition and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
skelband

May 10, 2012
10:11 PM EDT
Thanks all. Perhaps I will give SalixOS a look tonight.

I might also stick Debian into a virtual machine o see what it is like.
Steven_Rosenber

May 10, 2012
10:58 PM EDT
Try everything you are interested in, then reinstall what you like. +1 from me for Debian, of course.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!