I do

Story: OK - So what do I tell my Mac friend?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
skelband

May 10, 2012
9:02 PM EDT
I have a newer 4-core Macbook Pro that I use for development.

I used to have one of the 2-core 2.6Ghz ones and used Ubuntu Jaunty Linux natively on it. It ran like a dream until it had the dreaded graphics chip problem. :(

Anyway, on that machine (and this) I ran virtual machines in VirtualBox of WIndows XP, additional copies of Ubuntu Linux and also Windows Server 2008. It was all pretty smooth.

What I would say though is that if your friend has the option, upgrade the memory. 4 Gig *minimum*. I have 8 and I practically never have to dip into swap.

That's really the key to avoid getting into the mire on these machines.
dinotrac

May 10, 2012
10:40 PM EDT
Thanks, and thanks all.

Makes me think of Thomas Edison's reply when somebody asked him about all of his failed efforts to create an electric light before he finally found a filament that worked. The story goes that he replied, something along the lines of ,"No, I didn't fail. I found 10,000 ways that don't work".

I still don't know what to tell my Mac friend, but it's only because the Mac (freedom issues aside) is already a pretty rockin' box that lets him do what he wants to do. A linux box is also a pretty rockin' box that lets you do what you want to do -- but I don't know that there's something especially linux-y to point to.
Steven_Rosenber

May 10, 2012
10:54 PM EDT
Maybe set up a dual-boot. Or just go for it. You can always reinstall OS X again later.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!