Suggestion: include a /tmp partition also.

Story: How to Defensively Partition Your Hard Drive in LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
gara3987

May 23, 2012
10:44 PM EDT
I like to also include a /tmp partition of about 15 GB for all of the temporary data when working with audio and video. Great tutorial though, thanks for taking the time to share with everyone.
gus3

May 23, 2012
10:57 PM EDT
Right, because we all do video editing on our desktops. Sensible programs (like Audacity) will use on-disk temporary directories.

I concur with the /tmp partition (using tmpfs if possible), but 15 gigs is a bit much for files that aren't intended to survive a reboot.
jacog

May 24, 2012
4:09 AM EDT
Confuscius say, "Man who think hard drive space is free, think money grow on directory tree!"
rnturn

May 24, 2012
11:33 AM EDT
@gus3

Apparently gara3987 works with some pretty hefty audio/video files. And with 500GB being about the smallest disk drive you can buy at most computer stores, 15GB is only 3% of the disk space; a small price to pay when running out of temp space could ruin your work.

Q: Are there distributions that automatically clear /tmp when rebooting? I haven't seen any systems do that by default that since I administered an early version of AIX (back in the early/mid '90s).

If I'd written the article, I think I would have recommended using three disks: one smallish disk for the OS (with current disk sizes that'd still give you an ocean of temp space) and disks two and three configured as a RAID 1 and mounted on /home. (I do this for some of other mount points, too, to keep them safely out of the way of an upgrade or reinstallation.) But for the typical computer user new to Linux it's good to let them know that they don't need to put their personal files at risk by using a single partition. IMHO, distributions that automatically do that as part of their "quick" installation option should be shunned.
gus3

May 24, 2012
11:42 AM EDT
rnturn wrote:Are there distributions that automatically clear /tmp when rebooting?
Any system with /tmp mounted as tmpfs. I'm not sure which distributions use that by default, but it's a trivial edit to /etc/fstab.
tbuitenh

May 24, 2012
12:41 PM EDT
Archlinux will wipe /tmp at boot, I know because I see a warning about /tmp/lost+found being created every time that filesystem is checked. I know it's not exactly necessary to check an empty filesystem but allowing it to happen wastes less of my time than adjusting the configuration.

Having /tmp on disk is good when some scripts build packages there by default and you don't have a lot of RAM. Apparently you can't build a kernel in 1GB.

By the way,
article wrote:Additionally make sure that you use the same username in the new install as you used in the old install.
I don't think this is necessary, but you should create your users in the same order so they will get the right numeric IDs. And if you mess that up or your new distribution starts counting at a different number it's easy enough to fix with a few variations on
chown -R user:group /home/user

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!