Good Release

Story: Fedora aims cloudwards with Beefy Miracle releaseTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Fettoosh

May 30, 2012
4:17 PM EDT
I downloaded and tested Fedora 17 64bit using USB. So far, during the short and quick test, I only had one single problem but very impressed by its speed.

When I have special effects in KDE turned on, it showed artifacts all over and was very very slow. The minute I turned it off, performance was outstanding even though it is running of a USB.

I will do a hard disk install on a slow machine over the week end to make better assessment and possibly to replace Kubuntu. But first, I just have to see how RPM fairs in comparison with APT.

Koriel

May 30, 2012
4:37 PM EDT
I had an artifact problem within the last week that when the opengl compositor (compiz) was on their were artifacts all over the place and turned off it was fine. I originally thought my NVidia card was on the ropes and about to go down for the count as it is 6 years old but a quick driver upgrade to the latest Nvidia release and the artifacts dissapeared.

So im a happy chappy as I was expecting to shell out for a new card.

I don't like having compiz turned on, but its the only way to get Flash on linux not to vsync tear in fullscreen mode as it is on my media machine connected to the TV and is one of our few sources of entertainment, flash tearing is a no no.
Fettoosh

May 30, 2012
9:13 PM EDT
Thew machine I tested on has Intel N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller, which should be supported. Kubuntu handles it properly. It could be some specific desktop effect(s) that are turned off in the Kubuntu system and on by default in Fedora.

I have another machine with nVidia card, which I will be testing with.

3D graphics is still not a sure thing on Linux yet.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!