Microsoft owns Red Hat?

Story: Red Hat Drinks the Microsoft Kool-AidTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
yoyoyuser1

Jun 08, 2012
10:56 AM EDT
It is clear that they have some deal going on here, or some side benefit for Red Hat. Red Hat is seemingly a bad thing for Linux.... a USA based Corporate entity forcing the Linux community in one direction is not a good thing.

They are playing on people's lack of security knowledge and also playing towards the idea that users will be too stupid to set it up for themselves.
BernardSwiss

Jun 08, 2012
8:20 PM EDT
Where are all these never-before-seen posters coming from? And they all seem to be promoting the same (unsupported) argument:

Red Hat == Scummy, backroom dealing, Microsoft stooge/co-conspirator.

At first I thought it was just the typical ignorance, but now I'm beginning to wonder...

(and before anyone goes off half-cocked with the inevitable accusations; I don't use RedHat, and I neither use nor like the Fedora project -- so there! Can we focus on rational discussion, please?)
skelband

Jun 08, 2012
10:22 PM EDT
Yeah, we've seen an awful lot of new userids over the last day or two.
caitlyn

Jun 11, 2012
3:45 PM EDT
tracyanne asked the same question in the metaforum. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I think it's a fair question in this case.
flufferbeer

Jun 11, 2012
8:20 PM EDT
Well skelband, here's a much-less "new" userid agreeing with "some" of the negative press on Red Hat's payout to the evil M$ to join the UEFI-keys payment racket. But I also see that Canonical is me-too'ing on this also.

Drinking the M$ Kool-Aid sure is a poor move that will soon enough lead to hacking UEFI who-knows-how-secure boot and probably loss of mindshare from most everyone OTHER than business large-enterprise customers!

2c
vainrveenr

Jun 12, 2012
11:57 AM EDT
Quoting:Drinking the M$ Kool-Aid sure is a poor move that will soon enough lead to hacking UEFI who-knows-how-secure boot and probably loss of mindshare from most everyone OTHER than business large-enterprise customers!

OTOH, as other regular posters have expressed on different LXer threads, there are various facets to this same issue that may better balance out the antipathy directed to Red Hat. Among these facets are that what Red Hat and Ubuntu did were carried out of of necessity rather than malice, so that these Linux Server companies could remain competitive with one another and with Microsoft for "business large-enterprise customers". Another facet to this issue is the eventual plan that even non-Enterprise vendors and customers (e.g., on the Desktop) will benefit from these deals as long as patent-encumbering and trickle-down "hooks" are successfully avoided, and any such remaining hooks are distinctly unlike those of Novell's infamous Patent Deal.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!