Theo de Raadt's nutshell summary...

Story: Dangerous Concessions: Red Hat, Fedora and the Secure Boot ShockerTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Jun 13, 2012
3:47 AM EDT
Quoting: http://www.mail-archive.com/misc@openbsd.org/msg112931.html

Try to buy systems that don't rely on UEFI. In the next few years, prepare to buy systems and find out they require UEFI, and then demand a refund. Prepare for it to get even worse than that.

If you buy a UEFI-capable system today, you are giving power to the people who will (in the future) make UEFI-only systems which are incapable of running OpenBSD.

UEFI arrived with all sorts of promises of making machines better, but is being turned into something completely nefarious.

tuxchick

Jun 13, 2012
10:47 AM EDT
It took some time, but that thread finally veered into usefulness (how to boot large drives). I was hoping Theo, or anyone, had something useful to say about the alleged perils of UEFI, but they're sadly shy of details. I just wrote up my own analysis of UEFI and Secure Boot for Linux.com, which should appear soon.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 13, 2012
11:30 AM EDT
I'm thinking that on systems built to be servers, either there will be no UEFI, or it will permit installation of non-Windows OSes, because there really isn't much of a server market for Windows.

I'm pretty sure this will be hackable as well ...
Fettoosh

Jun 13, 2012
1:15 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm thinking that on systems built to be servers, either there will be no UEFI, or it will permit installation of non-Windows OSes

Besides, MS knows pretty well that OEMs will not go along with its strategy to block Linux on servers because it counts a good share of their server business.

That gets me thinking, Why MS is so much worried about the desktop when it maintains claiming it dominates? Is it an emptive attempt at something they see happening that we don't? Like an upward trend in Linux shares on the desktop!

tuxchick

Jun 13, 2012
3:02 PM EDT
UEFI Secure Boot: Big Hassle, Questionable Benefit

linux.com/learn/tutorials/588498-uefi-secure-boot-big-hassle-questionable-benefit
Fettoosh

Jun 13, 2012
7:44 PM EDT
Very Good article TC.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!