Are links to videos allowed?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Jeff91

Jun 28, 2012
9:35 AM EDT
Are links to FOSS/Linux related videos allowed to appear in the news feed or should we limit submissions to written content?

~Jeff
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 28, 2012
1:08 PM EDT
I personally don't have a problem with links to a video.
cr

Jun 29, 2012
8:53 AM EDT
Please, when the choice exists, do select a link where the video's content is at least summarized if not transcribed. My installation of Firefox has Flash but it's locked down (NoScript, FlashBlock). Unless I have both the leisure time and the DSL bandwidth, I'm not going to override that in order to watch a video in real-time of what I could read in me-time.
tracyanne

Jun 29, 2012
5:31 PM EDT
what cr said
BernardSwiss

Jun 29, 2012
5:49 PM EDT
Yes. What cr said!

Well, I've posted to the odd podcast -- but then, I have an mp3-player, for listening to that kind of thing on the commute.

I certainly wouldn't ban media links -- but there's likely grounds for being fairly choose-y.

Links to audio and video are fine -- some useful indication as to what the meat of the 'cast is is important. You can't really "skim" a video or audio file the way you can text.
cr

Jun 30, 2012
2:54 AM EDT
@BernardSwiss: Skim? If the either of the kids is online-gaming, let alone both, I can't even watch in real-time. I did mention bandwidth...

@Jeff: I do suggest including a direct link to the video in the summary when the video is significant, even when a good transcription or summary exists (Linus' recent Epistle to the NVidious qualifies IMO).
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 02, 2012
12:29 PM EDT
Links to videos are ok, I just do not like making a habit of it..
helios

Jul 03, 2012
9:57 AM EDT
The summaries are what determines whether I watch the video or not. Without a summary, I am more likely to just blow by it and move onto the next news item.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!