Define "stable"

Story: E17 heading towards a Stable Release - No Really!Total Replies: 6
Author Content
helios

Jul 07, 2012
8:41 AM EDT
IMO, E17 was "stable" in 2009. Yes, I know the clinical term for stable and how it is employed in our environment but it's been a rock-solid environment for many of our machines for several years. Glad to see the continued growth of E17, While I don't offer it as the default to many computer newbies, I do show it to them to see if there is the spark of interest. I have been surprised to see the percentage that do take an interest.

Mostly from those unafraid of their computers....still a minority of new computer users though. Most of them hover their mouse cursors like a wrong click will evoke a nuclear holocaust.
Jeff91

Jul 07, 2012
11:54 AM EDT
You are correct in that E17 has been stable (as in no crashes in daily usage) for some years now. In this respect it is more referring to targeting a complete desktop experience - meaning finishing features you would expect a full blown desktop to have. As well as resolving all of the 100 or so issues currently listed in the E bug tracker.

Mostly it means we will get a E17 with version number 0.17 (instead of the 0.16.999.xxxxxx) it is now. And then work on E18 (which will be built on ELM as opposed to the EFLs will begin).

~Jeff
tuxchick

Jul 07, 2012
12:31 PM EDT
Quoting: which will be built on ELM as opposed to the EFLs will begin

Er...what?? Elm is a tree, and Efls is dyslexic for elfs?
dinotrac

Jul 07, 2012
1:04 PM EDT
Oh my!

It's clear you've never gotten cookies from the Keerelb efls.

(any similarity to trademarked products in entirely coincidnetal)
Jeff91

Jul 07, 2012
1:26 PM EDT
If that was a serious questions EFL = Enlightenment Foundation Libraries, while ELM = Elementary

I'm not 100% on the differences between the two, but there are differences.

~Jeff
tuxchick

Jul 07, 2012
4:52 PM EDT
Yes, Jeff, it was a serious question cloaked in brilliant humor. They weren't referenced in the article, so at that point I decided that the undefined abbreviations were fair game.

When we're done here let's go beat up Phoronix over their excessive use of DRM without explaining that it's direct rendering manager and not digital restrictions management.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 09, 2012
12:36 PM EDT
"direct rendering manager"

Chortle.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!