side by side - Ghostery vs DNT

Story: Extensions...? Here's a few some missed.Total Replies: 4
Author Content
helios

Jul 09, 2012
11:14 AM EDT
This feature was actually a comment made on another article dealing with extensions and it was suggested that I publish it here as an article. In those comments, folks offered additional extensions that might be useful and as we've come to expect from LXer contributors, they are. However, I decided to test Ghostery against Do Not Track....both privacy extensions that block other websites and companies from tracking and profiting from your browsing habits. I ran them side by side, both installed at the same time, then I ran them as the only tracking extension installed on Firefox. There was no difference, either way. I was surprised at the results.

Ghostery detected and blocked by far, a much larger number of trackers and web bugs. I was a bit disappointed in DNT's performance and the lack of preferences/tools by which to tweak it. Ghostery has a large number of "blacklists" that have been submitted by users whereas DNT seems to have only one, but updated by the developers frequently. Posted below is a side-by-side comparison of the results taken from foxbusiness.com. I tried msnbc and abcnews.com as well but their Ghostery lists were about half again longer. Salon and Slate.com were both huge lists as well. I simply chose the shortest one to save file size. I know some of us have slow connections and my "cloud" solution can be a bit slow on the uptake.

Note that many of the Ghostery entries are grey vs a few of them that are bold. The bold listings are those I chose to allow for this screenshot.

http://tinyurl.com/7vuooev Click the white arrow in the top right corner for a larger view.
shem

Jul 10, 2012
3:34 AM EDT
Thanks!

I have to use the download-button to see the image :( The flash-thing tries to load then shows error #2036 (after I allow through flashblock of course). Happened recently too on another image you posted on Humyo...

A list of my extensions (not so different from yours): Adblock Plus BetterPrivacy Collusion Flashblock Ghostery HTTPS-Everywhere

Not privacy related: DownloadHelper, Forecastfox & FoxClocks.

(Oh, yes, my Firefox (actually Iceweasel) is a bit slow to startup, but that is mainly because of Forecastfox)
helios

Jul 10, 2012
9:30 AM EDT
Yeah, an inherent problem with flash-based stuff. Unfortunately, Humyo is about all I can afford for "cloud" services. Much cheaper than dropbox or Amazon S3.
skelband

Jul 10, 2012
12:32 PM EDT
If you haven't tried it yet, there is an interesting extension called "Collusion" which allows you to visualise cookies dropped for third parties.

Makes interesting reading. I've been running it for a while and it is pretty horrific to say the least.

Just reset the graph after installing Ghostery to see the effect.
helios

Jul 10, 2012
6:29 PM EDT
Thanks Skelband....will play with it tonight when I get home.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!