This is part of an interview question? Really?

Story: “Treat Gnome3 as something new” by Allan Day | InterviewTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
caitlyn

Jul 11, 2012
11:22 AM EDT
Quoting:Personally, without wanting to flatter you, I think that Gnome3 from its core infrastructure till its outer design is a work made from some very clever people, an awesome work.

This is part of an interview question? Really? This tells me that the author is a fawning fan looking for more ways to praise his beloved GNOME 3.
helios

Jul 11, 2012
12:06 PM EDT
Yeah, I had to go get something to cut the sickeningly sweet taste myself. Almost borders on pathetic, to me anyway
gus3

Jul 11, 2012
4:36 PM EDT
I read the title as "Treat Gnome3 as something alien".

I need to clean my glasses...
tracyanne

Jul 11, 2012
5:33 PM EDT
GNOME3 is something new.... a New way of being pathetic.
BernardSwiss

Jul 11, 2012
7:15 PM EDT
Well, after all, that is precisely what all the fuss has been all about.

People weren't looking for something new -- "new" verging on "alien" -- something radically different to replace a basic tool that was fundamental to their daily work and activities. They were looking for maintenance and improvement of a familiar tool which they relied upon every day.

If Gnome Shell had been put forward as something new -- as an alternative worth considering -- people would no doubt have had various opinions (sometimes strong opinions) but there would not have been the sense of betrayal, the resentment, the offence taken at the arrogance of the developers imposing radical (and rigid) changes for their own ends.

Heck; if a less authoritarian approach had been taken, people might even now be writing articles about how long "old Gnome/legacy Gnome Desktop" would likely remain the default Desktop Environment choice on popular distros. We'd still be arguing about which DE is "better" for whatever use-case, but it would be an very different debate in an entirely different atmosphere,
r_a_trip

Jul 12, 2012
4:27 AM EDT
The comment thread under this piece of Gnome 3 PR is a treat. Instead of taking a fairly unbiased postion, the "interviewer" is prancing around defending Gnome 3 against any criticism.

The only thing bothering me about these gushing Gnome 3 pieces is the uneasiness they give me. Either the Gnome 3 people live in a massive echo chamber and are so cut off from reality that they don't exist on the same plane with us or I'm really a stick in the mud and I am somehow unable to get enlightened about the virtues of Shell.

I'm betting on the former, but that still scares me. A billion dollar company is funding this madness. They're even willing to infect their cash cow with this "unholy mess".
slacker_mike

Jul 12, 2012
1:20 PM EDT
Just to take a look at something outside of my Slackware comfort zone I decided to try out the latest Fedora release with Gnome 3. I couldn't deal with it. The overview mode/hot corner was so annoying. I ended up installing numerous extentions just to make it more bearable. Then it hit me, if I need to tweak it to this extent then it really isn't for me. On the positive side the shell never crashed, nor did any Gnome apps crash so it was quite stable, frustrating but stable.

Reading the developer views on Gnome 3 paint a picture for me that things will only get worse as they move towards reducing functionality on their core set of apps. This is the reason I question the viability of Cinnamon/Unity or anything else dependant on Gnome because they seem so hellbent on making the Gnome apps as worthless as their shell. I don't understand how Red Hat would make Gnome the default desktop in RHEL, it just doesn't fit for an enterprise level desktop. At least KDE is always an option, and by the time RHEL 7 is released the KDE version included will be vastly better than what is shipped in the RHEL 6 series.

Even though KDE has its flaws it is by far the more sane interface in comparison and in terms of full-feature desktops the clear choice in my opinion. Anyway off to try something new with KDE, maybe Mageia 2.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 12, 2012
2:28 PM EDT
I'm using GNOME 3 in Debian Wheezy as my main desktop. I'm getting used to it. The gnome-extensions package in Debian helps -- you can put the full date at the top of the screen and get the "shut down" option by default.

I'm not saying this is the best desktop ever, but for now it's OK.
slacker_mike

Jul 12, 2012
2:56 PM EDT
@Steven yeah there are extensions that add back basic functionality and I added those and a panel, window list, dock, had nautilus manage the desktop, etc. In the end I had something that really wasn't Gnome 3 anymore. My thought was if I was going to spend that much effort to make it usuable then I might as well just use fluxbox. Also I would be concerned about extensions breaking durring major upgrades not to mention I don't know how these extensions are vetted, and they are basically unsupported by the Gnome project. It remains to be seen how viable the extentions will be for users on a LTS type cycle like Debian stable, CentOS 7(when it sees the light of day), etc. I wonder if the extentions will still work on older versions.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!